Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sepals on green tomatoes -leave or remove for ripening indoors?

Posted by mustard_seeds 4 -Onalaska Wisconsi (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 4, 12 at 20:29

I previously have tried the "dark, paper wrapped in a box method" to ripen green toms, but did not have good success. I am now just going to try setting them on trays away from the sun. They are washed and dry. Few trays have large toms, few trays of cherry toms.

Is it best to remove the sepals and small stems, or leave them if they are still attached?

Rachel

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sepals on green tomatoes -leave or remove for ripening indoor

Just leave as is but set them on the tray upside down with the blossom end on top.

I assume you understand that if they are fully green and still hard the odds they will ripen before rotting are slim?

Dave

o
RE: Sepals on green tomatoes -leave or remove for ripening indoor

Thanks Dave - well, some are blushed, most are light green, and a few are medium dark green/firm. I was going to see if I can find some recipes for green tomatoes for those - my husband likes spicy/vinegary vegetables.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here