Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Blueberry banana jam

Posted by zemmaj z5 QC CAN (mannick.pilon@sympatico.ca) on
Mon, Oct 23, 06 at 20:39

Hi y'all

I had a request for blueberry banana jam today, and tried to find a recipe but don't have one. Does anyone know one? Also, I wanted to tell those waiting for my recipes not to despair, with Xmas coming, I am making five or six recipes of sweets per day plus at least one preserve and bread, and pie and soup. I have very little time to type.

thanks for the recipe if anyone has it.
Marie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Blueberry banana jam

Here's one using liquid pectin. I can't vouch for it, not having made it myself.

Blueberry Banana Jam

3 cups blueberries
2 cups ripe mashed bananas
7 cups sugar
2 tablespoons lemon juice
6 ounces liquid pectin

Prepare lids according to package directions. Open liquid pectin pouches and stand upright in a cup or glass. Place prepared blueberries and bananas in a saucepan. Add sugar and lemon juice and simmer. Add pectin. Stir. Immediately pour jam into hot pint or half-pint canning jars, leaving inch head space. Wipe jar rims and add prepared two-piece lids. Process 10 minutes in a boiling water bath. Yield: 10 cups. [From Collecting and Using Alaska's Wild Berries]

I also have another recipe which uses powdered pectin, but the yield is lower.

Carol

o

It is nice of Carol to provide a recipe. But 5 cups of fruit to 7 cups of sugar, I sure wouldn't want to eat that. I would say use Pomona pectin or Ball's no-sugar needed pectin, and follow the recipe somewhat but use about 1/3 to 1/2 as much sugar as fruit. You'll get less jam, but it will taste SO much better.

I haven't put blueberries in it, but I have made banana jam a couple times and it was excellent. Off the top of my head I would say I used about 2.5 cups of sugar to 8 cups of banana smush, and added some lemon juice. I used the Ball no sugar needed pectin then. I am thinking the color of blueberry banana jam might be weird?!?

Marcia

o

Carol (or anyone else...), would you share your blueberry banana jam recipe that uses the powdered pectin? I'm out of liquid pectin.

Thanks! Jill

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here