Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
taycia

Yams/sweet potatoes question

taycia
12 years ago

i canned yams today using the recommended hot-pack method. They were kind of not fun to cut hot, but i followed the instructions per the NCFHP, and did it anyways.

My question: I have seen ONE site that has raw pack instructions. What is the reason for Hot pack being the preferred method? I noticed that the yams took on a little of the canning water as they cooled, is it because they expand during the cooling process and absorb some of the water?

When hot packing, is it best to do half yams/half water or fill it up with yams (without smashing of course) and then top off to headspace with water?

I packed with yams up to the shoulder and then filled to the headspace limit with boiling water. My 5 pints seem to have come out fine, i just want to make sure that i am doing it correctly so that when i start doing quarts of yams i don't worry about wasting anything because of some mistake.

Comments (6)

• digdirt2
    12 years ago

They were kind of not fun to cut hot, but i followed the instructions per the NCFHP, and did it anyways.

You don't have to work with them hot but you do have to pre-cook them. Raw pack isn't approved AFAIK and never has been but NCHFP isn't specifying Hot Pack either, just pre-cooking.

But the solution(s) are 1) peel and cube them prior to cooking just as you would regular potatoes,

2) to boil or steam (your choice) them whole for 10-15 mins. depending on size and then drain, cover with fresh water and set the pot in the fridge overnight and peel and cube the next day. Reheat briefly in the liquid you are using and jar and process.

Or 3) you can also fill the pan with cold water and let them sit in the fridge for several hours until cool enough to work with comfortably. You can even add a few ice cubes to the pot of water to cool them. Then peel, cube reheat and jar.

Personally we prefer to boil one day and peel and can the next.

Your choice.

Dave

• Linda_Lou
    12 years ago

I think they are best in syrup instead of water.

• readinglady
    12 years ago

I thought the NCHFP was specifying hot-pack. That was my understanding.

When working with hot potatoes or beets or similar, I use the heavier yellow kitchen gloves. They provide really good insulation and also have a little "gripability." I haven't found cutting vegetables is particularly difficult while wearing them, as long as I buy the ones that come in specific sizes. I also keep a fresh pair of gloves in reserve for turning the turkey. They will comfortably tolerate the heat for the amount of time required.

Carol

• taycia
    Original Author
    12 years ago

ok i see. Instructions are not very clear and really don't specify that you can cook, cool, and then hot pack. I was under the assumption that hot pack had to be done with hot food to avoid thermal shock and loss of quality.

I am still learning and am glad to have this forum to ask questions!

So 3 of my jars have cloudy liquid and 2 have clear. Is this just the starch in the yams? The cloudy jars have some smaller bits that settled to the bottom of the jar, so i am thinking its just leftover starchiness?

I don't usually candy my yams when i cook them from fresh, usually just mash them with some nutmeg, butter, and salt. I find them perfectly sweet enough. Does using plain boiling water ruin the sweetnes of the yam so that i should use a syrup? I am kind of a 'no extra sugar unless necessary' gal.

• digdirt2
    12 years ago

Packing things hot (pre-cooked and using hot water or hot syrup) isn't the same thing as the term "Hot-pack" (direct from the pot into the jar) as used in NCHFP canning instructions. "Hot-pack" is stipulated only when "Raw-pack" is available as an approved alternative.

Many things which are packed hot may be, and often are, cooled over night in the fridge for various purposes and then re-heated before putting in the jars and processed. It is often done with meats, meat broths and stocks, tomato sauces, etc.

In the case of sweet potatoes they are packed hot. They just don't need to be peeled hot. Not to mention that you don't burn your hands and that they peel much easier when cooled first. :)

But you are right that sometimes the instructions are not really detailed and left to interpretation. It just comes with experience.

The water vs. syrup choice is yours. We do some both ways since it depends on how you plan to use them after opening.

Dave

• taycia
    Original Author
    12 years ago

thanks so much Dave! it really clears it up. I will try the "cool to cut" method next time.

Yams are such a good price around this time of year here so i hate to pass up the price when i don't really have a cool/dry place i can store them (i do for PART of the winter then it freezes in there and i get mush in march) when i can can them.

I usually cook them to mash them anyways, so this just takes a step out for me LOL!

I am going to be cracking one open today to make sure i like the flavor/texture before i do another round. This is my 'test' batch to make sure its something i would like to pursue later on.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting