Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Arkansas Black apples

Posted by oukay (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 18, 10 at 21:23

I just bought some Arkansas Black apples up in NE Georgia. Are they supposed to be so hard that it makes my jaws tired eating them? They have a great taste, but my family won't eat them out of hand. Suggestions as to their best use?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Arkansas Black apples

• Posted by kayskats 7 (usda) 8 (arbor da (My Page) on
    Mon, Oct 18, 10 at 22:02

would they eat them if you got one of those gadgets that cores and slices into wedges. With her braces, my granddaughter uses that on all her apples.

I also suspect they'll soften up with a big of time.

Wish I had some ... the really hard ones are getting softer every day ...

kay

o

Our native AR Blacks are one of the crispiest varieties, a long-storage variety, so yes harder than what you may be used to. ;) They can be used for baking, either whole or in pies and cobblers, and make really good cider or apple butter. Make good dried apple slices too.

Dave

o

I also prefer the hard apples, because they're the keepers when the others get mealy and turn to mush. I pare and slice them to eat because a car accident left me with an healed jaw fracture and it's an effort to get any pressure in my bite.

o

• Posted by girlbug2 z9/10, Sunset zone 2 (My Page) on
    Tue, Oct 19, 10 at 12:00

ABs do have the reputation for hardness. One web site claims they're too hard to be good for making applesauce.

o

Yes, they are hard apples. They will improve with storage, if you have a cold place to store them.

They are the type of cooking apple that holds it's shape, so it is for pies and strudel, not apple sauce.

I suspect that your family would eat them sliced.

o

This is a great thread! I have an Arkansas Black apple to plant! I can't wait to get some great apples to harvest!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here