Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
canning chicken

Posted by taycia none (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 13, 11 at 21:34

is there any guidence for canning chicken in half pint size rather than pints?

Pints are at 11psi/75 min. Would i just do the half pints at the same time? the pressure doesn't change as per my Extension Office guide.

I am going to raw-pack the cubed chicken pieces, if that helps in any answers.

thanks in advance.

Here is a link that might be useful: NCHP guide

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: canning chicken

Yes, if a specific time is not given for the size jar you are using then your smaller jars are always processed at the nearest jar time given. Half pints are processed for pint time and pressure.

You can always go to smaller sized jars but you cannot increase the jar size over the sizes given. ie: if the instructions are for pints only then you may use half pints processed at the time for pints but you cannot use quarts.

Dave

o

great! thanks for answering so quickly. this is a really informative forum :)

o

Remember to keep the same headspace. So if you wanted to use wide mouth half pints, you may not be able to get that much chicken in the jar.

o

i used regular size half pints. It worked out great! just the right amount for my husband to crack one open for a chicken salad sandwich. I chose to go with the smaller containers because i would rather have extra jars to wash than wasted food ;)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here