Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mapleleafquilt

Ball Fig Preserves

mapleleafquilt
11 years ago

Has anyone tried this recipe? I decided to try it because it was the only one I could find that called for fresh figs. I sure don't get "boiling the figs until they are transparent."

Thanks,

joan

Comments (6)

• pqtex
    11 years ago

I'm pretty sure that's the recipe I used. I have no clue what transparent figs look like either, so I just cooked them until they seemed right. The preserves came out really good. Is that the recipe where the lemons are listed in the recipe as optional? I didn't have any fresh lemons, but added lemon juice. I know what you mean about looking for recipes that call for fresh figs. I keep finding cooking recipes that sound delicious, but then I realize they call for dried figs and I'm never sure how to adjust for the fresh figs.

Jill

• mapleleafquilt
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, Jill!
    The recipe starts with making a syrup with sugar and a lemon, sliced thin. After a 10-minute hard boil, the lemon slices are removed and the figs are "boiled until transparent" in the syrup, in 4 batches. I must have boiled the first batch for more than 30 minutes. The syrup was reduced to half! It seems like a sad thing to do to a fig. It's supposed to sit for 8 hours or overnight. Smells and tastes great, though!

joan

• pqtex
    11 years ago

That's the one. Mine came out really good. I've been using the syrup in the jars as a honey substitute on bread. Mmmmmmmm.....

• mapleleafquilt
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This recipe is in both the Blue Book and The Complete Book, with slight differences. I had lots of fresh figs that I wanted to hoard for a future baking project. (I saw a fabulous picture on Pinterest for Fig Newtons...). I followed the recipe in the Complete Book. I think the recipe should be re-named "Preserved Figs" not "Fig Preserves," but maybe that's just me. Oh, and my figs were all over the block size-wise--some really big ones, too.

What I actually did after boiling the first batch of figs for more than 30 minutes and being nowhere near transparency, I boiled the next three batches for about 15 minutes each. After refrigerating overnight, I strained off the syrup and brought it to a boil and further reduced it. Meanwhile, I snipped off the tough stem ends on each fig with kitchen shears and further snipped the figs into smaller chunks. Then I put the figs in the robot coupe and processed slightly. I put the figs (really now a lumpy puree) into the hot syrup and continued with the recipe.

As the Ball book says, this really would be delicious with a cheese course or with pork.

joan

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

I think the recipe should be re-named "Preserved Figs" not "Fig Preserves," but maybe that's just me.

I agree with you. When I first checked out the recipe when you posted this question it struck me "whole or halved canned figs", definitely not Fig Preserves. But then I'm not a big fan of figs in any form.

I also think "translucent" would be a better word than "transparent".

Dave

• readinglady
    11 years ago

Traditionally one definition of a preserve is whole or large pieces of fruit cooked in sugar until translucent or glace and suspended in the syrup. While the syrup is thickened, the gel is weaker and the consistency is not that of a "set" jam.

Carol

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting