Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenhouzer

Harvesting dill

greenhouzer
15 years ago

What other use is there for dill other than making pickles? I have 4 young healthy dill plants in the GH but don't plan to make any more dill pickles.

Comments (9)

• digdirt2
    15 years ago

Dill leaves fresh or dried are wonderful sprinkled on salads and vegetables, baked on poultry or fish, or in herb butter for bread, etc. Try mixing them in whipped potatoes or sprinkling them on a baked potato. We make home made toasted croutons with dill and add them to soups and salads and they store for months in ziplock bag.

Dave

• ksrogers
    15 years ago

I always like using the dill weed. I dry mine and pack it in a big quart Ball jar under vacuum and its smell and taste do not fade. I like it even when pickling mushrooms. The seeds are also good, but used mostly for pickles. All my dill has dropped most of its seeds now, so next year I will see it sprouting up everywhere. I even have some foot tall plants right now, that grew from seeds that were from this years early plants, which came from last years seeds.. Life goes on..

• kayskats
    15 years ago

I toss chunks of potatoes with EVO, S & P and sprinkle on a bit of dill weed and roast.
    Kay

• ksrogers
    15 years ago

Check out the HERBS forum too..

• gardengalrn
    15 years ago

I take dill and put in on paper towel, zap in the micro. I crush it and put it in ball freezer cups. I put it on fish especially with a little butter and lemon juice. My SIL makes a fantastic dip with sour cream, mayo, chopped red onion, chopped dried beef and tons of dill. She serves it with bagel pieces. I make a fresh cucumber salad using sour cream and lots of dill. You can vary egg or potato salad and add some to those kinds of things for a change. Lori

• calliope
    15 years ago

I dry the dill heads, and hang them on my kitchen hearth to use in cooking. It's good in some potato salads, and I like the dill weed in vegetable dips.

• bejay9_10
    15 years ago

We like dill weed, especially - in bread dough recipes, soups, dressings, etc.

I grow a lot of herbs - oregano, thyme, rosemary, dill, mints, etc., and combine them occasionally in different bouquets of previous year's supply, especially toward the end of the season, when the new crop is harvested.

I found freezing dillweed in ice cube trays in water, gives the best flavor. I used some in my fermented pickles this year, as I ran short. Dill seeds seem to lose their potency much quicker - thus prefer dill weed whenever I am lucky enough to have it available.

Bejay

• greenhouzer
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for all the ideas everyone. I'm going to try using it as suggested. I hate to let these healthy pretty plants just freeze and die.

• lillybean2
    14 years ago

This is my first post, but joined just to say that split pea soup is so very heavenly with fresh dill! I just found this site today and have learned so much. I grow a gigantic garden with my best friend and can like crazy in the summer but want to learn new things. Searching for canning recipes for pizza sauce is how I found this site. I also am an avid gardner in the non-produce area! I live on a farm so limiting the size of my yard is a challenge!