Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
annie1992_gw

flavored vinegars for sandpebbles

annie1992
14 years ago

I wanted to make sure you'd see this, so I made a new thread.

Some of the vinegar recipes I have call for refrigeration, like these:

Herbed Vinegar

From "Simply Homemade Food Gifts"

1/2 cup tightly packed fresh tarragon, thyme, mint, rosemary or basil leaves

2 cups white wine vinegar

Fresh herb sprig (optional)

Wash desired herbs and pat dry with paper towels. In a small stainless-steel or enamel saucepan, combine the herbs and vinegar. Bring almost to boiling. Remove from heat and cover loosely with 100-percent cotton cheesecloth; cool. Pour mixture into a clean 1 quart jar. Cover jar tightly with a nonmetallic lid (or cover the jar with plastic wrap and tightly seal with a metal lid). Let stand in a cool, dark place for 2 weeks.

Line a colander with several layers of 100-percent cotton cheesecloth. Pour vinegar mixture through the colander and let it drain into a bowl. Discard herbs.

Transfer strained vinegar to a clean 1 1/2 pint jar or bottle. If desired, add a sprig of fresh herbs to the jar. Cover jar with a nonmetallic lid. Store vinegar in a cool, dark place for up to 6 months. Makes about 2 cups.

Fruited Vinegar

1 cup rice vinegar or white vinegar

1 bag raspberry, orange, blackberry or cranberry flavored tea

In a glass measure, combine the vinegar and tea bag. Cover and chill for 2 hours. Remove tea bag. Pour into a clean glass bottle and cover with a cork or nonmetallic lid. Store in a cool dark place for up to 6 months. Use vinegar in salad dressings and in meat marinades that call for a fruit-flavored vinegar. Makes 1 cup vinegar.

Chili Herb Garlic Vinegar

(Small Batch Preserving)

2 cups white wine vinegar

3/4 springs fresh herbs such as basil or thyme

1 clove garlic, crushed

1 hot chile pepper

Bring vinegar to a boil. crush or bruise herbs. Place herbs, garlic and chili in a clean jar.

Pour vinegar into jar, cover and steep in a sunny location for up to 2 weeks, tasting occasionally

When flavor is satisfactory, strain veingar and pour into a lcean jar with a tight fitting lid. Store in refrigerator up to 6 months.

some can be canned and last longer, like these from the Ball Blue Book:

Cranberry Orange Flavored Vinegar

1 lb fresh cranberries

4 whole cloves

2 stick cinnamon

1 cup sugar

3 cups white wine vinegar

2 orange slices

Wash and drain cranberries, set 1/2 cup aside. Make juice from the remaining cranberries by crushing the berries and adding 1/2 cup of water, then simmer until soft and strain through cheesecloth or a jelly bag.

Measure 1 cup juice. Tie spices in a bag and combine juice, spice bag and sugar . Cook over medium heat until sugar is dissolved, then add reserved cranberries and vinegar. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes. remove spice bag and add one orange slice to each jar before filling. Ladle hot vinegar into hot jars, add lids and rings. BWB 10 minutes. Makes 2 pints

Blueberry basil vinegar

4 cups blueberries

4 cups white wine vinegar, divided

1 cup basil, loosely packed

Zest of one lemon

Wash blueberries, drain and crush. Combine blueberries and one cup of vinegar in bowl, crush berries. Add remaining vinegar, crush basil and add basil and lemon zest to vinegar. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and secure, then let steep 3-4 weeks, stirring every 2 or 3 days. Strain vinegar through several layers of cheesecloth, heat vinegar to 180F and ladle into hot jars. Add lids and rings and process 10 minutes in BWB.

Note: 1/2 cup fresh blueberries can be added to vinegar before canning.

Makes 2 pints

I didn't find one for pear or for fig, but I'm sure some others will!

Happy Canning.

Annie

Comments (7)

• sandpebbles
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

hey Annie

:o a separate post. this is too much. when i said e-mail or post, i meant whatever would be comfortable for you. also, i thought one or two recipes tops...again too much trouble. might i ask if you are the author of that famous salsa often mentioned on GW?

i do have a question though. when boiling vinegar, why bring to just under a boil. in other words, what would be the consequences if the vinegar would actually "boil".

P.S. a special thanks Annie. it's still too much. :)

Liz

• digdirt2
    14 years ago

Depending on the vinegar, boiling can change it's flavor - something you'd want to avoid since you'll be eating it. It can also change its pH by causing the water to evaporate. But in this case it would "cook" the herbs - another thing to avoid. ;)

Since the vinegar is the preservation agent AND the food product itself (unlike say pickles), boiling it isn't desirable or necessary.

Dave

PS: not to mention that boiling vinegar can really stink up the house!

• annie1992
    Original Author
    14 years ago

As Dave mentioned, boiling the vinegar could change the flavor and it would cook the herbs, both things that I don't think you want in this instance.

Yes, I'm the Annie of Annie's Salsa, my claim to fame, LOL.

As for the recipes, you are so welcome. In fact, it's a good thing. You reminded me that I want to make that Cranberry Orange Vinegar while fresh cranberries are available here, so it wasn't too much trouble at all!

Annie

• flora_uk
    14 years ago

Well I'd heard of sand cherries and beach plums but I spent a little while wondering what pickled sandpebbles might be. Truly a recipe for hard times. Then I re-read the posts ... To quote a well-known gourmet ... Doh!

• sandpebbles
    14 years ago

hi Annie i apologize for not getting back sooner. espiecally now knowing that i was in "elite" company...LOL. a tease. :) but seriously, i really appreciate to above and much beyond efforts extended to me. i can't wait to try these recipes. and yes, it's great that cranberries are in season. Yeah...i'm also figuring out the clip this post thing. after finding your salsa recipe and "writing it down" LOL, it occured to me that i have easily have clipped it. anyway, just wanted to express my gratitude. would you be interested in hot peppers...i have seeds. send me an e-mail if interested.

P.S. i know it's not necessary...there, i beat you to it. :) seriously, send me an address.

• annie1992
    Original Author
    14 years ago

LOL, Sandpebbles, my 15 minutes of fame is from that salsa recipe! (grin)

As for the hot peppers, thanks, but Elery plants a jillion or so of them every year, all kinds. This year they didn't do well, it was too cold and too wet, but I have several jars dehydrated from the last couple of years, I figure it'll take the rest of my life to use 'em up!

Annie

• sandpebbles
    14 years ago

yes, it was a tricky growing season. my first container attempt which went from one to over 40 but really 50 plants...LOL. peppers and tomatoes was my theme. when my family couldn't get me away, it seems my neighbors rhymed in. it was fun, stressful and fun. anyway, i also have tomato seeds. :)