Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dirtundermyfingers

Ham and beans question To can or not to can that is the question

dirtundermyfingers
13 years ago

I know that there is a recipe for ham hocks and beans in the BBB But I don't have a current one, just the complete book and it isn't in there and can't find a site with it. I cooked a half ham today (yummy) and would like to use the broth, ham bone and some of the meet to can some ham and bean soup. Can I add some ham to the beans, can I use the broth? Also can I add some veggies (carrots, celery, onions and peppers) I will pressure can it, but am out of freezer room. I think that this will be a great supper along with the veggie soup that I canned.

So if you can answer my questions, give a link or give me the recipe, I would really appreciate it.

Stacie

Comments (7)

• pixie_lou
    13 years ago

Check out NCHFP - in their vegetable section they have recipes for baked beans as well as dried beans with tomato or molasses sauce. Both allow a bit of ham or bacon to be added.

If you wanted to start adding veggies, you would have to follow the Soup instructions - and limit your solids to half the jar.

All the recipes/instructions can be found at the link.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to Can Vegetables

• dirtundermyfingers
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Pixie Lou,

I was hoping someone would be kind enough to also put in the directions for the Ball Blue Book recipe for beans and ham hocks.

Since I don't want it too dense and am adding veggies can I use Ham stock as the liquid to put into the jars??

Stacie

• digdirt2
    13 years ago

If soup is what you want to make with them then the Ham Hocks and Beans recipe isn't going to help.

The soup instructions are perfect. You need to use them and they answer all your questions on the beans vegetables, meat, and juice use. Far as I know the Soup instructions are also in the Ball Complete book.

Dave

• dirtundermyfingers
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Dave!!

I didn't find that when I was looking, I was looking under veggies and didn't see it. Can I use Ham broth as my liquid?? I have some powdered ham stock and the stock left in the pan after cooking the ham that I could use. I have defatted the stock from the ham too. Also with the long pressure canning times, would it be okay to add some peppers, celery, carrots and onions to the mix??

Thanks guys I am done with most of the fresh stuff but just can't quit canning lol.

Stacie

• afeisty1
    13 years ago

Here's your recipe from the Ball Blue (Yellow) Book

2 cups dried navy beans (about 1 pound)
    1 ham hock or 1/4 lb. salt pork
    1/2 cup onion
    1/2 hot red pepper, finely chopped
    salt to taste

Put beans in a large saucepot; add water to cover by 2 inches. Bring beans to a boil, boil 2 minutes. Remove from heat and let beans soak 1 hour.

Drain. Cover beans with water by 2 inches. Add meat, onion and pepper; bring to a boil in large stock pot. Cover and simmer 2 hours or until beans are tender. Remove ham hock. Cut meat from bone then dice into small pieces.

Press remaining ingredients through a seive or food mill. Return meat to soup. Ladle hot soup into hot jars, leaving 1 inch head space. Adjust two-piece caps.

Process pints 1 hour and 15 minutes, quarts 1 hour, 30 minutes at 10 pounds pressure in a steam pressure canner.

Makes 5 pints or 2 quarts

I usually double or triple this recipe. I skip the food mill step and add equal parts onion and carrots but don't exceed the total amount. So if I double the recipe I add 1/2 cup onion and 1/2 cup diced carrots.

Another way is to just add the carrots/celery when you open the jar. That's one way to "extend" a quart jar.

• digdirt2
    13 years ago

As explained in the soup link I posted, any vegetables can be used, the cooking liquid is also used. The only restriction is that the jars must be 1/2 solids and 1/2 liquid. It is that low density that allows for the flexibility in ingredients.

Dave

• dirtundermyfingers
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks afeisty that was the recipe that I was looking for. I am not going to do the foodmill step either and am doubling the recipe. Looking foreward to trying this:)

Stacie