Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Canning supplies on clearance at Big Y

Posted by ajsmama (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 16, 10 at 22:59

FYI for all those in New England (? Not sure of territory). Walmart is starting to mark down their supplies (I got the last case of quilted jelly jars for $7 instead of $8.12), but not much of a reduction yet here. WDM lids still $2, pectin $2.50, "Elite" domes and bands $4.

Big Y, on the other hand, had no jars left but had packs of WDM lids for 65 cents/doz, RM lids 49 cents, WDM lids and bands $1.25, RM lids and bands $1, Ball N-S pectin 62 cents, 2 lb Ball pickling salt (*now* I find it!) 75 cents.

I bought 4 lb of salt - any ideas on how to keep it from clumping over the next 10-11 months? I have a Foodsaver but not the canning jar attachment (yet). Can I just wrap the unopened bag(s) in freezer wrap and seal it? Is Ziploc good enough? Tupperware? Or just original bag?

I spent $18 but I'm all set for next year!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Canning supplies on clearance at Big Y

• Posted by kayskats 7 (usda) 8 (arbor da (My Page) on
    Sun, Oct 17, 10 at 9:36

what is Big Y?

did they have any pickle crisp?

re the salt .. mine doesn't clump very much in the pantry in original packaging .. the last batch I bought came in a ziplock package and if it clumps at all, I just give it a whack on the counter.

o

No, no Pickle Crisp. Walmart didn't even have it (though they *did* have Pickling Lime). If I see it, I'll pick some up for you.

o

• Posted by kayskats 7 (usda) 8 (arbor da (My Page) on
    Sun, Oct 17, 10 at 11:35

actually, I have the pickling lime ... and the salt

thanks anyway.

o

A good tip to check the clearance shelves. And thanks to that, I got pectin at Walmart for 50 cents a box. (I had saved all my coupons!) Not quite as cheap as buying in bulk at the Mennonite's store (about $2 for 2 cups, roughly equals 6 boxes)but when I figured in gas $$ it's pretty close.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here