Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
got lots of vinegars, how would they be in?

Posted by jeanwedding 6 ky (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 23, 11 at 23:04

got quite a few bottles of the various vinegars.... at the local salvage stores. They are not expired prob just discontinued( I used to do that kind of work, store resetting that is).
I have white and red wine vinegars and even some Balsamic vinegars....
So can I use them in place of the vinegars like on page 39 of the canning section from Wisconsin... when they did the "mixed vegetables pickles" ????
from this link

http://learningstore.uwex.edu/assets/pdfs/B2267.PDF
Course mostly would be Cider vinegar..... has anyone tried such mixtures?????
Thanks
Jean

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: got lots of vinegars, how would they be in?

As long as they are clearly labeled as 5% acidity you can use any flavor of vinegar you wish in a recipe. Only the taste of the pickled food is affected. If that taste is ok with you then there is no safety issue.

The problem with flavored vinegars is they often are NOT 5% acidity.

I wouldn't mix vinegar flavors, make each recipe in one flavor only, as they often don't mix well and some really 'off' tastes can result.

Dave

o

As Dave said, it's the 5% strength (or more) which is most critical.

I've used white wine vinegar frequently. It's mild and offers excellent presentation color for a mixed pickle.

I've used red wine vinegar and brown sugar in pickled beets with excellent results. It is more assertive, so you have to be careful what you use it with, not to mention the color is attractive with dark veg like beets but may not with others.

Ellie Topp, IIRC, used some balsamic in her caramelized red onions, but only in a small amount, coupled with a lot of red wine.

I would be most cautious about the balsamic. If it's very good balsamic then it's a waste to use it in large amounts and if it's not good then it's a waste in other regards.

Carol

o

I've mixed distilled white vinegar (which is cheap) with white wine vinegar or cider vinegar when I wanted to "stretch" the more expensive vinegars, most recipes will call for distilled but the other flavors are mellower.

I haven't tried mixing red wine and distilled vinegars - not too many recipes call for red wine vinegar. Some recipes call for a very small amount of balsamic but then I would follow the recipe exactly.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here