Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kathy_94952

Variation on Katies' Roasted Tomato Garlic Soup

Kathy F
12 years ago

Okay, would you eat this/consider this safe? Reading the various posts about what makes canning soups safe vs. unsafe, I think I've got a variation that should be safe, but I'd love the input of others who have been at this longer than I have.

4lbs tomatoes, 1 medium onion, 8 cloves garlic - all brushed sparingly with olive oil and sprinkled with 1/2 tsp salt, then roasted at 350 for 1 hour.

Cook with 3 cups chicken broth, 2 tsp sugar, and 1 tsp dried oregano for 20 minutes.

Puree in blender.

Process pints at 10 psi for 60 minutes.

Basically, I'm reducing the garlic, removing the carrot, adding a little sugar, removing fresh basil and adding dried oregano.

As a reminder/reference, here is the "official" Katie's Roasted Tomato Garlic Soup recipe:

12 tomatoes -- *see Note

2 carrots -- cut in 1" pieces

1 large onion -- quartered

2 whole heads garlic -- peeled (or more, to taste)

olive oil

2 cups chicken broth -- (or 3)

1/2 cup chopped fresh basil -- (or 1 Tbsp. dried)

Core tomatoes and cut in half. Place, cut side up, on foil covered cookie sheet with carrots, onion and garlic. Brush with olive oil. Bake at 400F for about an hour, or until vegies are roasted and a little blackened. Place in a large saucepan with the chicken broth and basil and simmer for about 10 minutes. Blend with a stick blender (or in small batches in a blender) until almost smooth. To can: Process in a pressure canner, pints for 60 min. and quarts for 70 min.For dial gauge canners use 11 pounds pressure at 0-2000 ft., 12 lbs. at 2001-4000 ft., 13 lbs. at 4001-6000 ft. and 14 lbs. above 6000 ft. For weighted gauge canners use 10 lbs. pressure at 0-1000 ft., and 15 lbs. over 1000 ft.

Any feedback on the safety of my tweaks is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Kathy

Comments (2)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH