Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
prairie_love

Eggplant recipe keeper

prairie_love
17 years ago

I made an eggplant recipe tonight from the Ellie Topp book (Carol, thank you so much for recommending this book, I do love it). It is called Madras Pickled Eggplant and it is basically eggplant pickled in Indian seasonings - fenugreek, cumin, tumeric, etc. It is fabulous. I suspect the flavors will get stronger as it sits, and perhaps the eggplant got mushier after processing, but we ate the leftovers with dinner and loved it! I know a few people have asked about eggplant recipes (myself included) and this is definitely one I will make again.

I do have one question (you knew I would, didn't you?). You end up with chunks of eggplant in the pickling marinade which you are supposed to put in the jars. I always have difficulty with this. Do you have any tricks to ensure that the liquid gets dispersed equally? I always end up using too much liquid in the first few jars so the last ones end up with not enough. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Ann

Comments (11)

• readinglady
    17 years ago

I find it's not unusual to have to make another half-batch or batch of marinade or pickling liquid to finish what I'm processing. It's like yields. Mine frequently don't match the recipe's.

Of course, if you're just doing a small batch, it's not so time-consuming to strain out the solids, measure both solids and liquids and distribute in the jars. But with big batches I usually just make more liquid. It's quicker and less messy.

Carol

• gardenlad
    17 years ago

We all have our own foibles, Ann. F'rinstance, I'm the opposite of you, and usually start out putting too many solids in the early jars. Then I wind up with a jar that's mostly liquid.

• booberry85
    17 years ago

Thanks for the heads up on the eggplant recipe. I have the book and have seen the recipe but haven't made it yet.

• robinkateb
    17 years ago

Ann, Can you please share the recipe? I noticed your post abut it on the What have you put up thread and was going to ask for the recipe. I think at some point I need to add that cookbook to my collection.

-Robin

• prairie_love
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Robin, I'd be happy to. I will do so tonight when I am at home with access to the cookbook. I was so happy to find *something* to do with eggplants!

• prairie_love
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Here's the recipe. It's from Small-Batch Preserving by Ellie Topp and Margaret Howard (I'm learning from you all to be good about citing sources ).

Madras Pickled Eggplant

2 lb eggplant (2 large)
    3 tbsp white vinegar
    2 large cloves garlic, minced
    2 tbsp chili powder
    2 tsp each: ground ginger and turmeric
    1/4 cup canola oil
    1 tbsp each: cumin seeds and fenugreek seeds
    1 1/4 cups white vinegar
    1 cup granulated sugar
    2-4 finely chopped and seeded small hot red chile or jalapeno peppers
    1/4 cup finely chopped gingerroot
    2 tbsp pickling salt

1. Cube unpeeled eggplant into bite-sized pieces and reserve.
    2. Combine 3 tbsp vinegar, garlic, chili powder, ginger, and turmeric in a small bowl to form a paste and reserve.
    3. Heat oil over medium heat in a large nonstick skillet. Add cumin and fenugreek seeds and saute for 1 minute. Add eggplant and saute for about 10 minutes or until eggplant is just tender. Add reserved paste and 1 1/4 cups vinegar, sugar, chile peppers, gingerroot, and salt. Stir over medium heat for about 5 minutes or until boiling.
    4. Remove hot jars from canner and ladle pickles into jars to within 1/2 inch of rim. Process 15 minutes for half-pint jars and 20 minutes for pint jars.

Makes 3 pint jars or 6 half-pint jars.

• robinkateb
    17 years ago

Thanks Ann, that sounds really good. I just had to sadly compost some eggplant form our CSA as i never got to it. I am currently the other eggplant lover in the house (my 4 year old loved it when he was 2) so a use for it that preserves it and I can have as snacks and lunch later is perfect.

-Robin

• readinglady
    17 years ago

Well, this isn't a canning recipe, but since we're talking eggplant, here's an eggplant recipe to die for. Even confirmed eggplant-haters find it addictive spread on warm wedges of pita.

Indian Eggplant Dip

Recipe By :Vegetarian Pleasures
    Serving Size : 6
    Categories : Appetizers & Nibbles Vegetables

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1 eggplant -- (1 1/4 lbs.)
    3 Tablespoons butter or Ghee
    2 teaspoons ground coriander
    1/2 teaspoon turmeric
    1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds
    1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    1 clove garlic -- minced
    1/2 cup tomatoes, drained canned or fresh -- finely chopped
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    3 Tablespoons yogurt, low fat or nonfat
    tomato wedges, coriander or parsley sprigs -- (optional)

1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Cut the top stem end off the eggplant and discard. Prick the eggplant with a fork in a few places to prevent it from exploding when cooking, and place it on a pie plate or baking dish. Bake for 1-1 1/2 hours, or until the eggplant collapses and is very soft. Let sit for 10 minutes or so, or until cool enough to handle.

2. Meanwhile, heat the butter or ghee in a medium size skillet. Add the coriander, turmeric, cumin seeds, cayenne and garlic, and "toast" these spices for 2 minutes, stirring often. Add the tomato and cook 2 minutes more. Remove from the heat.

3. Scoop out the pulp of the eggplant into a medium-size bowl and mash very well. Add the spice mixture, salt and yogurt, and mix well. Cover and chill at least 1 hour or overnight.

4. Spoon into a serving dish and garnish with the tomato wedges and the coriander or parsley sprigs. Serve with hot pita bread triangles.

Note: This is an old fat-laden vegetarian recipe. I have reduced the ghee and found the dip still delicious.

Carol

• melva02
    17 years ago

Ann, did you find the skin to be chewier than the flesh when you ate the pickles? I'm wary of eggplant skin because it seems to stick around too long in my mouth. My mom always asks whether they take it off before she orders eggplant parmigiana.

I think I will try this next time eggplant is cheap, thanks for the tip.

Melissa

• prairie_love
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Melissa,

I was nervous about the skin also, but really I don't notice it. That could be because it's cooked and pickled, or it might be because of the eggplants I used. I had the long skinny Lebanese type. I think they might have a gentler skin. If you wanted, I'm sure you could skin them first.

Ann

• melva02
    17 years ago

Thanks Ann, I haven't made up my mind yet on skinning them. If one tries to do the "color wheel" version of eating vegetables (red/orange/green/purple/white), then the skin should be left on for the vitamins in the color, so I want to leave it on.

Melissa