Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eyesofthewolf

conflicting info need your input

eyesofthewolf
13 years ago

Hi everyone, I have been gone from this forum for sometime growing the things I need to can. So this is my question, I pickled peppers that I plan to leave in the fridge. I have 7 pints How long will they stay ok to eat? I used this recipe 6 cups 5 percent vinegar 2 cups water 1/2 cup sugar and fresh peppers both hot and sweet together. I brought the water vinegar and sugar to boil then packed the fresh uncooked peppers and poured vinegar over peppers and then put in fridge after they cooled. I wanted to have crunchy peppers so I didn't do the bwb. I have read from 2 weeks to six months that is a big stretch so I thought I would ask people who are in the know. Thanks guys and gals :o)Deanna

Comments (8)

• kayskats
    13 years ago

did you cut up your peppers or pack them whole?

I'm looking at recipe from Joy of Pickling for refrigerated bell or pimentos. LindaZ cuts them up, packs cold, pours a boiling brine over them

She uses a l.5 to 3 vinegar to water brine, while you use 6 vinegar to 2 water(or 3:1) a stronger brine.

She says hers should keep well in the refrigerator for 6 to 8 weeks. With your stronger brine, I would think you'd get a longer storage time... you should be able to tell when they start deterorating.

I've had similar cuke pickles last well over 6 months.

kay

Like you, I'm on the hunt for Crisp and Crunchy pickles, be they peppers, cukes, or whatever. I'm going to try pickles crisp next year.

k

• readinglady
    13 years ago

It really does vary (refrigerators are different) but mainly it's an issue of quality rather than food safety. In other words, when they soften and are no longer appealing they're done for.

The stronger the brine the longer the shelf life, which is why you'll get conflicting information.

If it's a large batch and you have the room, you might try freezing some of the pickles. Thaw in the fridge when needed.

Carol

• digdirt2
    13 years ago

The stronger the brine the longer the shelf life, which is why you'll get conflicting information.

Carol hit the nail on the head. ;) Straight 100% vinegar brine would have the longest fridge life - IME in my fridge that's about 3-4 months max. Beyond that they begin to deteriorate rapidly. The more you dilute the brine the shorter the shelf life unless you process them.

Dave

• eyesofthewolf
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Kayskats they are whole peppers skins, seeds and all. Thank you all so much , really! the light bulb went off in my head and it makes since :o) :o) :o) Deanna

• kayskats
    13 years ago

deanna ...

when using whole peppers, I've seen advice to cut a slit in the side, so the brine will penetrate quicker. I haven't tried it, but it makes sense.

kay

• eyesofthewolf
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Kay I did slit the sides. I could not wait any more so I opened one jar just now and tasted WOW WOW WOW I am so happy they really are super, I was running around telling everyone I did something right this time. I had a couple failers with strawberrys and felt I was going to waste alot of my produce from the garden because I did something wrong and the taste was less than ok. So finding the right recipes are critical. And I don't know what the right recipes are yet I still need to do the try it and see stuff. But thank goodness I can caulk this one up as a great success. Thank you everyone again for your advice and kind words. I am a happy canning camper.:o)Deanna

• kayskats
    13 years ago

deanna ...

don't know how you were doing the strawberries, but here's my fav ... it's a perserve using whole berries. they stay plump in a thick syrup ...don't really set.

STRAWBERRY PERSERVES

Source: Cooperative Extension Service of the University of Georgia.
    The berries remain whole and plump -- do not expect the syrup to set... it's a syrup.
    Makes about 4 half pints

1 1/2 quarts strawberries stems removed
    5 cups sugar
    1/3 cup fresh lemon juice

Chose firm red, ripe berries. Do not use berries with hollow cores.
    Combine strawberries and sugar. Let stand 3 to 4 hours. Bring strawberry mixture slowly to a boil, stirring occasionally until sugar dissolves. Add lemon juice. Cook rapidly until berries are clear and syrup thick, about 10 to 12 minutes. Pour into a shallow pan. Let stand uncovered 12 to 24 hours in a cool place. Shake pan occasionally to distribute berries through syrup. Heat mixture and pour hot preserves into hot sterile jars, leaving 1/4" head space. Wipe jar rims and adjust lids. Process 5 minutes.

I note you're Zone 8, so if you have access to figs, here's a similar recipe

FIG PRESERVES

Source: NCHFP
    Yield: 5 pints
    Fig preserves were one of Dad's specialities. He didn't use the lemon and he didn't BWB, just sealed 'em. Do not expect the syrup to 'set' .. it's a syrup.

3 quarts figs
    3 quarts boiling water
    4 cups sugar
    1 1/2 quarts water
    2 lemons thinly sliced (optional)

Pour 3 quarts boiling water over figs. Let stand 15 minutes. Drain and discard liquid. Rinse figs in cold water and drain. Prepare syrup by mixing sugar, 1 1/2 quarts water and lemon. Boil rapidly 10 minutes. Skim syrup; remove and discard lemon slices. Drop figs carefully into the boiling hot syrup, a few at a time. Cook rapidly until figs are transparent. Remove figs and place in shallow pan. Boil syrup until thick, pour over figs and let stand 6 to 8 hours.
    Reheat figs and syrup to boiling. Pour hot preserves into hot sterile jars, leaving 1/4" headspace. Wipe rims of jars and adjust lids. Process 5 min BWB.

KAY

• eyesofthewolf
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the recipes, yes I planted a fig tree so that will come in handy next year. And for strawberries that sounds like something I could do without screwing up. Thanks Kay they sound ymmmmmy. :o)Deanna