Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
judo_and_peppers

blueberry-pineapple jam

judo_and_peppers
10 years ago

I was thinking about making some blueberry jam, and quite separately making some pineapple jam. but there's a place that makes a fruit smoothie out of those two, and in my opinion it's just about the best fruit combination imaginable. so I figured why not just combine the two jam batches and make something really awesome.

I've looked at recipes for blueberry jam, I've looked at recipes for pineapple jam. I've also looked at the recipes for jellies for both (which might be easier since the juices are easier to come by this time of year). any reason I couldn't just combine the two? I mean it seems like making a preserve is pretty straightforward, I see no reason that after the mixing the fruit part, it would be any different from when I made really awesome strawberry spread not too long ago (my first attempt at home canning).

also, blueberry juice is pretty much purple, and pineapple juice is yellow. what would the result come out looking like?

does anyone have experience making something out of mixed fruits that are as far apart as these? is there anything special I should be considerate of when making this?

Comments (7)

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

I've made jelly out of mixed fruit juices. You need to make sure it's 100% juice (and some store juice will say it but still not gel, even apple).

I made red raspberry and blueberries into jelly. red and blue made BLUE/black. your idea will probably be a lighter blue.

I'm not familiar with the acid/pectin of pineapple, but do know that blueberries take both. You would have to check on that.

Besides all of the above, it sounds interesting to me.

Marla

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    10 years ago

It's not a fruit combination I've tried, but going back to my paint mixing days - blue and yellow combined make green ;) I don't know if the yellow in the pineapple is strong enough or would be used in a large enough amount for that result....

• malna
    10 years ago

Madelaine Bullwinkle's Gourmet Preserves book has a pineapple blueberry jam recipe. All her recipes that I've made are delicious - haven't made this particular one though.

Found this on a blog "When you mix colors, blue paint plus yellow paint turns to green. So why do blue-purple blueberries and yellow-orange peaches produce a jam thatâÂÂs almost black, with a hint of purple, while blueberries and orange-red apricots mix to a similar color, although with a slightly redder tinge?"

I think your jam will be a pretty color :-)

• kathy_in_washington
    10 years ago

Interesting combination I've never heard about. So, I looked online and found this recipe:

Ingredients for Blueberry and Pineapple Jam

1kg Pineapple
    500g Blueberries
    2 Lemons
    1.5kg Sugar
    125g Liquid Pectin

If you want the directions and photographs, go to the link below. Looked great to me! Good luck.

Kathy in Washington

Here is a link that might be useful: Blueberry-Pineapple Jam Recipe from

• judo_and_peppers
    Original Author
    10 years ago

ok, so my idea isn't as far fetched as it seemed. I am so gonna do this. I'll probably do what I did with the strawberry one, and toss it all in a blender with a very hot pepper or two. blending the strawberry jam gave excellent results last time, I'll be making more of that as well sometime soon as I am already close to running out.

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    10 years ago

Yeah i would put the pineapple in the blender. Cooking so long is not ideal IMHO. My fav blueberry jam is black and blue jam. Blackberries and blueberries. I also like the blues with mulberries. I strain seeds out.

• judo_and_peppers
    Original Author
    10 years ago

in case you guys were wondering what it came out looking like, here's the pic. by volume it was probably 3/4 pineapple (this is before the sugar went in), but the color would lead one to believe it was mostly blueberry.

I think it came out wonderfully. with the addition of one carolina reaper pepper, it's wonderfully spicy too. excellent addition to a morning bagel if you're like me and aren't a morning person. it wakes you right up.

1 large pineapple,
    8oz blueberries
    1 tbsp lime juice
    1 carolina reaper pepper
    3 cups sugar
    3 tbsp ball NSN powder pectin

yield: 3 pints

I threw the pepper, the blueberries, and the pineapple in the blender and blended til smooth, from there I followed normal jam making procedure, and boiling water processed for 10 min.

it set very well, I am quite happy with the consistency and texture. I also made another spicy pineapple (no blueberries), spicy apple spice, spicy chocolate strawberry, and non spicy strawberry jam for my wife, who can't handle the spicy jams. with those and the hot sauces, I think I have most of my christmas list taken care of now.