Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What to do with lettuce ?

Posted by bettyd_z7_va (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 10, 10 at 7:49

I've just lurked here for the last few months since I found this forum. I've learned so much, being a beginning harvester/preserver.

DH brought a HUGE (like a regular shipping box size) bag of romaine lettuce home that someone gave him and I'm at a loss what to do with it all. We will be sharing with the neighbors, friends and family and eating salads, but I need some ideas for what to do with what's left.

I don't have recipes that include lettuce. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Betty

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What to do with lettuce ?

Maybe Food Banks and Shelters can use it; call around first since not all will accept fresh foods.

Romaine - washed, spun dry, covered with paper towels and into big zipper plastic bags - keeps for weeks and weeks. I've never had luck dehydrating it, but Martha Stewart has a recipe I've not tried - maybe it works?

Nancy

Here is a link that might be useful: Dehydrated Lettuce

o

Lettuce makes a good soup which you could then freeze. I tend to make soups up as I go along but I've just Googled 'lettuce soup' and there are plenty of recipes.

o

Thanks so much, Nancy and Flora.

I'm learning all kinds of new stuff today!

Betty

o

I saved a recipe last year that used kale (I think) and romaine lettuce in a gratin with eggs, cheese, etc. The romaine and kale were sauteed. Might have had quinoa but all the recipes are running together in my head. If you get desperate, you could saute what's left and freeze it to use in the future. I could probably scare up the recipe.

o

Nancy, I got a chance to check out Martha's dehydrated lettuce and I will be trying that today. I don't have a dehydrater, but I feel sure I can make it work in my oven, if I watch closely. Thanks for the link. Sounds Yummy!

Melly, that sounds like a 'keeper' recipe. I really love kale. Between my 7 year old DGSon and I, a large pan of sauted kale usually doesn't make it to the dinner table to share with the others if we get to it first!! lol
Thanks,
Betty

o

My thought was similar to Flora's. I've never made a soup based on lettuce, but I've used it as an ingredient in "potage"-type soups, a bunch of vegetables cooked together and then pureed. I'd probably shred it, boil it up with some potatoes, onions, and cabbage (all incredibly cheap at this time of year especially), season, and freeze in small portions. I like to serve a little cup of this kind of soup with a sandwich and piece of fruit to make a lunch, or to precede a dinner that otherwise seems not quite hearty enough. A sprinkling of garlic croutons, fresh herbs or real bacon bits on top adds a little extra "zip" of flavour.

Z

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here