Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
myfamilysfarm

We're OK after the storms.

myfamilysfarm
10 years ago

Just for those that are interested. Our area in the Midwest was hit with several tornadoes yesterday. One hit one of our Middle Schools and massive destruction to it and the neighboring Elementary School (on same property) will be closed indefinitely. I'm guessing until they can find other schools for the students to go to.
At our farm, the shade cloth came off the hoop house/gh and our 'arrow' sign was tipped over. Out TV antennae pole was bent and will need replaced, but otherwise, we are FINE. Power was out for 9 hours, some people are still without power.

There was 80+ tornadoes in the Midwest, per the TV.

Marla

Comments (14)

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Glad to hear you all are ok and missed the worst of it as it sounds as if it was major storms over 5 different states.

Dave

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Marla - are you in IN or in ILL? The pics on CNN are terrible!

Dave

• myfamilysfarm
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm in IN, but only about 30 miles from IL. In spots it is terrible. We had to drive to another town, south of one of the paths, huge trees down all over. Amazed that the trees missed the house. single wide mobile homes tipped over, grain silos tipped over. One field with pigs, no pig housing was left standing upright, pigs looked like they wanted out of the field, their grain feeders were turned over.

We were SO lucky. At one time, we heard the 'train' sound, but no horn. stepped outside and it sounded like it was just above our house.

If you go to wlfi.com, you can see some photos of damage in our area. The photos are from north, south and east of us. A few west of us. We were just LUCKY.

Our power was out for 9 hrs and one of the son is still without power, almost 24 hrs so far. 4 hours ago, 1 of the electric companies said there was still 4900 people without power. We have 2 main electric companies and a few smaller ones.

Marla

• NilaJones
    10 years ago

Wow! I am so glad you all are ok!

• readinglady
    10 years ago

Talk about a lucky miss, but I know you feel for all those around you who weren't so fortunate. It's hard when these things happen just as the weather is turning cold.

Carol

• myfamilysfarm
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Son just got power back after almost 24 hrs. Luckily nobody was hurt near us. And it was rather warm last night.

• bcskye
    10 years ago

Marla, I'm so glad you are okay and suffered only minor damage. We are in northeastern Brown County and were so fortunate. About a minute of no power and a couple of brown-outs and that was it.

We have friends since high school in Lebanon and waiting to hear how they are. Also, RV friends of ours from Ft. Meyers, Fl who have been up in Illinois in the area of the most destruction that we haven't heard from.

Take care and I hope if any more of these rogue tornadoes go through, that they will keep a wide distance from you.

• myfamilysfarm
    Original Author
    10 years ago

We went out to survey the property and found that a 200 gallon gas tank that HAD been on a stand, is now off. It was empty, but very heavy when we put it up there. That told me more than anything else.

Very happy in our newly built (last year) house, windows didn't even rattle. Hubby and sons did a good job.

Thank you everyone for the well wishes.

Marla

• NilaJones
    10 years ago

>We went out to survey the property and found that a 200 gallon gas tank that HAD been on a stand, is now off. It was empty, but very heavy when we put it up there. That told me more than anything else.

Wow.

We just don't get the kind of storms y'all get. The mountains and the ocean protect us. Of course that all could change in future years.

• myfamilysfarm
    Original Author
    10 years ago

this was not NORMAL for us either. We get strong winds and such, but not this.

• NilaJones
    10 years ago

Oh, I see. Scary!

I grew up reading little house on the prairie, so I think of your area as full of giant weather events.

• 2ajsmama
    10 years ago

So glad you are OK Marla. I didn't even see anything about this until yesterday, and haven't looked for details (busy here, DS's birthday tomorrow, my parents both sick and lots of drama going on with Girl Scouts). I thought it was IL that got hit (and I'm really bad with geography).

• malna
    10 years ago

Glad to hear you weathered the storms with minimal damage. Tornadoes are incredibly scary things.

My cousin's house was severely damaged (she lives near Washington), but no one in the family or their immediate neighborhood or anyone they know (so far) was injured, so a big reason for us to be thankful this Thanksgiving.

• myfamilysfarm
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yeh, IL always seems to get more coverage for another. We have 2 towns, one just 10-12 miles away heavily damanged. But the town is much smaller, and we don't ask for lots of help. It was hit by the same one that almost destroyed a middle school. The school and the adjoining one is not able to have class for at least 6 months to 1 year. Luckily, one HUGE church has volunteered their building for K-6, and the 7-8 grade will fit into another school that is over-populated, but will work around it.

IL is less than 50 miles from me.