Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardengrl_gw

Does Mustard Need to Age?

gardengrl
16 years ago

I made two batches of mustard from the new Ball Blue Book, "The Complete Book of Home Preserving" over the weekend. I made the Ginger Garlic Mustard and the Oktoberfest Beer Mustard, and was not really impressed.

I followed the recipes to the "T" and ordered my mustard seeds from Penzey's. They were both rather bitter and didn't have much zing. Do these things need to age?

Here is a link that might be useful: Vist my blog

Comments (11)

• ksrogers
    16 years ago

There are recent posts about mustard seeds and making mustard. There are basically two seed types. The yellow and the brown. The yellow are the most common and are mild flavored. The brown are bolder and have more 'character' These are the types that are mostly used to make dijon mustards. As to aging, yes, any dry mustard mixed with a liquid needs to age a few hours before tasting. If its mixed and tasted immediately, its bland and bitter as you encountered. Give it a few hours to 'mellow out'. Once made into a prepared mustard, it can lose flavor after a few months, not matter how its stored. Horseradish has a similar trait that it looses 'punch' after storing a few months in the fridge.

• dgkritch
    16 years ago

And for some of us wimps, it gets better after it sits in the fridge for awhile.
    When I made mine, it just about singed the nose hairs. Weeks later, I really like it! Personal preferences, I suppose. I also like to mix it with mayo for sandwiches and a dip for chicken (add a little honey).

Deanna

• readinglady
    16 years ago

Generally mustard benefits from aging. Flavors develop, blend and mellow.

I can't speak to the Ball mustards, not having made those. The Ball books are valuable canning resources but I can think of several instances where other versions of the recipes were more appealing. Sometimes I wonder if their staff ever taste-tests the products they develop.

Carol

• gardengrl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Carol,

You're so right! The Ginger Garlic mustard has potential, but both mustards just tasted bitter, not really "zingy" at all. I'm hoping they'll get better over the next few weeks, or I'm dumping them and will try a different recipe.

I wrote about it on my blog, so I'll update on the mustard saga in a few weeks.

Here is a link that might be useful: Vist my blog

• kayskats
    16 years ago

So mustards need time to "meld" and taste better;
    and mustards lose their kick after a while.. Does this decline occur in unopened jars?

I'm wondering, what is the window for optimum taste?
    I'm the only one who eats exotic mustards in my house, so even one purchased jar stays around quite a while.

kay

• ksrogers
    16 years ago

Optimum taste is 1 day after making, and probably up to a year. Just last week, there was a America's Test Kitchen episode on PBS that compared a SEALED jar of one year old commercial mustard that was opened and compared to one of the same brands that was only a few weeks old. The taster said that they did in fact have different boldness, with the older one being a bit less flavorful. I do notice this with horseradish too. Thats why its better to use it fresh instead of using some that has an old manufacture or preparation date. Right ow, I plan to dig up a few pieces in my garden, just for some fresh flavor for shrimp cocktail sauce. When I buy a big jar of Grey Poupon, I grind up some brown mustard seeds and add that to it, like their 'Country Style'. It helps to 'fortify' the flavor and lasts me quite a while due to the extra boldness it provides. If you want to bring back some 'power' in a older mustard, add a little Chinese hot mustard powder, and let it sit an hour or two. I'm sure it will give you a decent bite.

• readinglady
    16 years ago

I have a Bordeaux mustard recipe that calls for 48 hours of soaking the yellow and brown mustard seeds (in red wine vinegar and dry red wine). Then after adding the other ingredients (garlic, sugar, white Worcestershire, salt, tarragon, marjoram, white pepper, turmeric) it's aged several weeks before consumption.

That's one recipe I've found really benefits from a bit of mellowing and time for the various seasonings to meld. In fact, to my taste, the longer the better. It's a great mustard for game sausage.

However, I've never canned it. Although I know it's safe to can most mustards, I prefer not to apply that kind of heat. I think it destroys the character.

Carol

• kayskats
    16 years ago

Carol
    I'd love to try that recipe ...
    Kay

• readinglady
    16 years ago

Sure. I think I've posted this before, but it's been a while, so it may have dropped off. This recipe comes from Jan Roberts-Dominguez' book "The Mustard Book."

This mustard is very good with sausage and ham or for a nice sauce stir several spoonsful into a cup of heavy cream.

My note says, "Safe for shipping as long as it doesn't exceed 4 days," but I'm personally more comfortable with overnight and attaching a tag: "Refrigerate."

Bordeaux Mustard

Recipe By : Jan Roberts-Dominguez
    Yield : 3 1/4 cups
    Categories : Appetizers & Nibbles Condiments
    Gift Giving

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    2/3 cup yellow mustard seeds
    1/2 cup brown mustard seeds
    1 cup red-wine vinegar
    1/2 cup dry red wine (cabernet, pinot or beaujolais)
    4 cloves garlic -- minced
    2 tablespoons granulated sugar
    2 tablespoons white-wine worcestershire sauce
    2 teaspoons salt
    1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon -- crumbled
    1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram -- crumbled
    1 teaspoon ground white pepper
    1 teaspoon turmeric

In a nonreactive pot or jar, combine all the seeds, vinegar, wine and garlic; cover and soak for 48 hours, adding additional vinegar and wine (in the correct proportions) if necessary to maintain enough liquid to cover the seeds.

Scrape the soaked seeds into a food processor. Add the sugar, Worcestershire sauce, salt, tarragon, marjoram, pepper and turmeric and process until the mustard turns from liquid and seeds to a creamy mixture flecked with seeds. This takes 3-4 minutes.

Add additional vinegar and wine (in correct proportions) as necessary to create a nice creamy mustard. (Keep in mind that it will thicken slightly upon standing.) This mustard benefits from several weeks of aging. Keep refrigerated.

Yield:
    "3 1/4 cups"

• kayskats
    16 years ago

Carol, no wonder you find the Ball recipes unexciting.
    We always have ham for Christmas ... this will be a wonderful condiment. Thanks,
    Kay

• ksrogers
    16 years ago

With ham, I like to add a bit more 'zing', by mxing a little of the Chinese hot mustard powder into the regular mustard. Nothing better than opening up your sinuses a bit more. Not for the weak though. I didn't see much diffeence in flavor 3 hours after making, and some thats a week or more old.