Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
canning tomato

Posted by backyardbum AR 6 (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 20, 11 at 8:40

What are your favorite canning tomatoes?

I haven't canned any for a few years. My favorite is no longer avaliable.

I think a red is prettier in the jars, but I do want good flavor and few seeds.

I would also like a good yellow canner.

Planning time is here!

Thanks LYNN

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: canning tomato

Marianna's Peace is my fav red/pink.

> I would also like a good yellow canner.

Yoder's German Yellow is fav yellow/orange for canning. Large, very good flavor, small seeds & few seeds.

Here is a link that might be useful: Yoder's German Yellow

o

All tomatoes are "canning" tomatoes. :) I'd never restrict myself to just 1 or 2 varieties for canning because the very best sauce and canned tomatoes comes from mixing many different varieties - both slicers and paste types.

But we have space to plant a hundred plants and many don't. So how many tomato plants do you usually plant? That may determine the best varieties for you. And do you grow only determinates or indeterminates too?

And we use a Victorio tomato mill for removing skins and seeds so they are of little concern for us. Do you have one? If not and you will be peeling and removing the seeds by hand then you might want to stick with just paste types. San Marzano and Opalka are both excellent.

Dave

PS: Rutgers is a great slicing tomato that is often used for canning too.

o

Prefer Romas for canning. Less water, meaty and tasty tomato. Will also plant slicers (brandywine), cherry and pear tomatoes for table eating. Will look for the yellow tom posted above, too for a change up in color.

o

I prefer Roma or Italia, but always plant several other varieites just in case. This last year the italia did wonderful, the roma not so good and just about everything else was dismal.

So for me, the "Best" is what will grow well in my garden.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here