Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marricgardens

canning butternut squash

marricgardens
15 years ago

We had an abundance of butternut squash this year. We don't have a large cold room to store it in & we are totally off grid so using a freezer to store this amount is out of the question. I was wondering if anyone canned their squash and how they did it? I do remember my MIL canning pumpkin but I don't like pumpkin so I never asked how she did it (she always gave us a few jars because DH loves pumpkin). Any advice? Marg

Comments (8)

• whynotmi
    15 years ago

I've attached the link to the instructions. It requires a pressure canner. Personally, I've had to be pretty creative in my squash storage in the past and found places here and there.

best of luck

Here is a link that might be useful: canning pumpkin and winter squash

• ksrogers
    15 years ago

Ever try Buttercup squash? Its even better tasting compared to butternut. No squash puree as mentioned, but cubes are OK. Pressure canning is also a must. The whole squash, as mentioned in another recent thread, can also be dipped into a water and bleach solution. This kills surface mold and will prevent spoilage for a longer time period. Squash does bruis easily, so be gentle, even though they seem very hard skinned. The solution can be about 2-3 tablespoons of bleach for a half gallon of water. Soak the squash a minute, then drain. Do not rinse.

• readinglady
    15 years ago

In case you do decide to try long-term storage of squash (or want to hold some for a while and then can later) here's information on curing, sanitizing and storage.

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: Harvesting and Storing Pumpkins and Squash

• marricgardens
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the advice and the informative links everyone. Marg

• ksrogers
    15 years ago

Three years ago, my big harvest of over 30 buttercup squash lasted me almost 6 months. The bleach/water dip helped to prevent surface mold that can travel inside the squash very quickly.

• denninmi
    15 years ago

I've dehydrated butternut and hubbard type winter squash before, and it makes a pretty worthwhile product. After drying, it can be used a couple of ways, either rehydrated and cooked and mashed, etc., as normal, or also, the dry powder can be added direct to soups and stews to thicken and flavor them, in pasta sauces, etc., or in bread or pasta doughs to color and flavor them. Butternut pasta made with one part of powdered butternut squash to 3 parts of semolina with an egg added, when cut into fettucini or put through a pasta maker, is excellent and a very pretty golden/pale orange color.

Dennis
    SE Michigan

• marricgardens
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Dennis: I like the idea of dehydrating it and being able to use it so many ways. How exactly do you do it? Do you use your oven or do you have a seperate dehydrator? We have a gas stove that we had to get propane for because gas isn't available here. Could you give me more advice please? Marg

• ksrogers
    15 years ago

A stove and its oven is not an appropriate device to effectivly dry foods. The temps for drying are below the minimum temps of most ovens. Also, air movement is very necessary at all times. A dehydrator is a better choice to dry things. The faster they dry the more flavor, and color things have. Also there is less risk of mold or spoilage before the item is totally dried. There are several recent threads about dehydrators here in this forum. Suggest you do a SEARCH for the key word 'dehydrator'.