Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zemmaj

pepper jelly

zemmaj
9 years ago

Help!
Hi, I made red Pepper Jelly from a recipe I got from a friend. I usually only make jams and jellies without pectin but this one called for pectin. I don't like commercial pectin and have not had good results from it. I find I either get soup or rock hard jellies. Now her recipe made 6 jars and as I make this more or less commercially I made 24. My Jelly is rather soupy and I guess I have to cook it again but I don't know how much more pectin to add to this. For 16 cups of Pepper and 21 of sugar plus vinegar and lemon juice, I had 4 pouches of liquid pectin, anyone????

Comments (9)

• pixie_lou
    9 years ago

It is not recommended to double batches of jam or jelly when using commercial pectin. It leads to problems with the set, which you obviously found out.

I'm not sure how to "rescue" your jelly. But in the future, you should make this ine batch at a time.

• zemmaj
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, 24 jars 3 at a time ain't gonna happen, lol. Now for a constructive way to save this day.....

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

Honestly, IME, I don't think that you can save it by trying to re-cook with more pectin since you used liquid pectin to begin with - I assume her recipe called for liquid rather than powdered? Liquid pectin just doesn't work that way, powdered pectin does. It just doesn't re-gel. One reason why I gave up ever using liquid pectin.

But how long since you made it? Today? Yesterday? Then it hasn't enough time to set anyway. Some made with liquid pectin can take up to 6 weeks to set. So personally I'd be inclined to just let it sit as is and see if it sets.

I don't understand your comment about why you can't make it one batch at a time. The recipe says it makes 6 jars, not 3. So making it a batch at a time wouldn't be a big issue if I understand correctly. And that is the only way to insure success, especially when working with new-to-you recipes and liquid pectin.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Dave

• zemmaj
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, first recipe called for 6 jars, the second for three jars. I own a store, do this for a living but usually make mostly condiments and jams for which I have no problem. I have no time to make jellys 6 jars at a time or 3 jars at a time, not Worth it commercially. I recooked the second one and I will see, seems to be more solid. My problem with liquid pectin is it is either liquid or so solid you can use it for a ball!

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

My problem with liquid pectin is it is either liquid or so solid you can use it for a ball!

I agree with you there! We have much better luck with even the bulk powdered pectin than with the liquid stuff but I know some folks swear by it.

Dave

• ahbee01
    9 years ago

Just my preference but I like my pepper jelly a bit on the pourable side. I like to be able to open the jar and just pour it onto my cream cheese!!! Think a very thick syrup!

• canfan
    9 years ago

The 9 jars (2Batches) of Pepper Jelly I made today turned out great. I used powdered pectin. They looks like they are going to set up and be a bit thick which is just fine with me.

• MikeUSMC
    9 years ago

Glad to hear you got your jelly "fine tuned." If you're interested, you can do a search (here on GardenWeb) that has a great link called "First stab at pepper jelly" from the hot pepper side. Lots of delicious and interesting flavor combinations, not to mention heat levels. I'd post the link here, but I'm afraid if I tried to figure out how, my head might explode. Haha! There's another good one floating around over there for a spicy cranberry jelly, which sounds great, especially with Thanksgiving right around the corner.

Mike

• 2ajsmama
    9 years ago

The "first stab" thread is a long thread (thanks to Mike and your truly!) so settle down with the beverage of choice to read that when the kids are in bed.

The spicy cranberry jelly recipe is here on Harvest too, it's called Turkey's Revenge, invented by ottawapepper. I cut and pasted this from an older thread (don't know how to put in 2 clickable links):

Habanero Cranberry Jelly (I call it Turkey's Revenge).

I created (ok, not wholly created LOL) this variation of Melly's Cran-Jalapeno Jelly. Using Melly's as a starting point and tweaking it with the kind assistance and encouragement of Zabby, the end result is a fiery hot cranberry jelly for cold fall and winter nights. Heck, it's great in the summer too!

Ingredients:
    3/4 cup cider vinegar
    3/4 cup white vinegar
    2 cups 100% unsweetened cranberry juice
    1/2 cup finely diced habanero pepper
    1/2 cup finely diced red onion
    1 3/4 cups fresh cranberries, coarsely chopped
    1 pkg liquid pectin
    5 cups sugar

Procedure:
    1. Finely dice peppers and onion and coarsely chop cranberries
    2. In a large sauce pan, combine cranberries, pepper, onion, vinegars, and juice
    3. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low
    4. Simmer 15 to 20 minutes to allow flavors to blend and to soften up cranberries
    5. Add sugar and return to a hard boil for 1 minute
    6. Remove from heat and stir liquid pectin in well
    7. Add jelly to hot sterilized jars
    8. Wipe rim of jars with a clean damp towel
    9. Position lids as per usual instructions

1. Process in a hot water bath for 10 minutes
    2. Remove jars and allow them to cool
    3. During the cooling, periodically "gently" invert jars to distribute solids.

Yield 7 or 8 - 250ml (1 cup) jars

Here is a link that might be useful: First stab thread