Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jenniesue_gw

cranberry salsa

jenniesue
17 years ago

What do you do with your cranberry salsa? I made it, but I don't know that I really want to eat it with chips.

Comments (16)

• ksrogers
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Serve as a relish with your Thanksgiving turkey?

• SuzyQ2
    17 years ago

Its also pretty good on a ham sandwich.

• annie1992
    17 years ago

I used mine as a condiment, a side dish to pork and poultry, and as a spread on bagels with some cream cheese.

My boss ate it with a spoon, but I thought a bit on a cracker was better.

Annie

• led_zep_rules
    17 years ago

I haven't made cranberry salsa, but we made pear salsa Sunday and Monday. It has more pears than tomatoes, but still has some plus tomatillos, onions, peppers, cumin and the 'normal' ingredients. It is really good on chips, as is the peach salsa we made a lot of this year. I love the fruit salsas! They always taste better if we roast as many of the ingredients as possible.

We made cranberry sauce on Saturday, and then again on Monday since we love cranberries so much. The 2 of us had eaten it all in 2 days! Wouldn't put them in salsa just because we both love plain cranberry sauce so much we eat them all up that way. But it sounds good, and if you don't know what to do with it I would volunteer to come over and eat it. :-)

Marcia

• mellyofthesouth
    17 years ago

I eat mango salsa with crab cakes or chicken.

• ksrogers
    17 years ago

I have also seen pineapple salsa which has a nice tang to it. I guess you can use almost any fruit with tomatoes, onions, and some hot peppers of different heats as well as spices like coriander, cilantro, basil, oregano, cumin, and a few others I have forgotten.

• gardengalrn
    17 years ago

Of course we need a recipe ;) Lori

• ksrogers
    17 years ago

If that 'recipe need' was directed to me, I have none, but use my imagination and the suggestions I listed as possible ingredients. In all, pineapple and tomato go well with each other and most of the spices and herbs are common to all salsa types. Adding green peppers give it color. So you have red, yellow and green pieces in it.

• love2troll
    16 years ago

Doing my best not to start multiple threads on the same topic. I must say that my search for "cranberry salsa" worked rather well for a change.

Anyways...

I'm kinda close to the 10 min boil and hot pack stage of a cranberry salsa concoction & wondering if I should have 'smashed' the whole cranberries first? They seem a tad large for a chip dip.

This is primarily a cranberry/tomatillo salsa. Has whole gooseberries and crushed pineapple in in too.

Prolly too late for this batch, but have a lot more cranberries in the freezer and the next batch (tomorrow) will be with diced tomatoes as the other main ingredient.

Annie? Are you there?

jt

• ksrogers
    16 years ago

The Craisins you see, which are dried crans, are cut in half before drying. Because they tend to be hollow, you can even shake out most of the tiny seeds inside. I made some muffins that way, and spent about 2 hours cutting and deseeding them crans. It was because my mom wasn't able to easily digest the seeds. I also used some Splenda as the sweetener. It seems to hold up a lot better to cooking and baking heat compared to nutrasweet or other sugar sustitutes.

• love2troll
    16 years ago

My first time using cranberries:

{{gwi:962732}}

Not bad. Most people would want a little more salt. Still have lots cranberries to play with and next batch will be cranberry/tomato. A great cook friend of mine suggested toasting the cumin seed & I forgot to do it.

jt

• love2troll
    16 years ago

Tasted it again this morning. It was bitter, boring & needed a lot more salt. I'll dehydrate a jar and see if worth trying to salvage as a hot powder ingredient. Sorry about that.

jt

• ksrogers
    16 years ago

Where's the photo??

• love2troll
    16 years ago

Ken,

I took it down because didn't want anyone to copy the recipe and think it was a good one. http://www.fototime.com/A7905E29F299BBD/orig.jpg

Should have followed Annie's recipe for my first try with cranberries. But no, I thought I knew better. I think the cranberries will go very well with dried apricots and will try that probably tomorrow. Will use cider vinegar and more salt.

jt

• annie1992
    16 years ago

sorry, jt. I'vwe been gone for a few days. Dad had surgery on Tuesday, then an arterial bypass in his "good" leg (the only one he has left since they amputated the other one 3 years ago!). Friday night he had a heart attack, at least he was already in the hospital. It's been exciting, so I've been kind of tied up.

Anyway, the boss loves the cranberry salsa, so I just made her a batch of it for her birthday. I did put extra hot peppers in it because she likes it HOT. I like it better than cranberry sauce just because it's not quite as sweet. I seldom make regular cranberry sauce, I make cranberry jezebel, thanks to LindaC at the Cooking Forum. It's a less sweet cranberry relish with horseradish, I love it.

Here are those recipes for anyone who wants them:

Spicy Cranberry Salsa

6 cups chopped red onion
    4 finely chopped large serrano peppers
    1 1/2 cups water
    1 1/2 cups cider vinegar 5% acidity
    1 T. canning salt
    1 1/3 cups sugar
    6 T. clover honey
    12 cups ( approx. 2 3/4 lbs.) rinsed whole fresh cranberries

Wash and rinse six pint canning jars, keep hot until ready to use. Prepare lids according to manufacturers directions.
    Combine all ingredients except cranberries in a large Dutch oven or saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat, reduce heat slightly and boil gently for 5 minutes. Add cranberries, reduce heat, slightly and simmer for 20 minutes.Stir occasionally to prevent scorching. Pour into jars, leave 1/4 inch headspace. Leave saucepot over low heat while filling jars. Remove air bubbles, adjust headspace if needed. Seal with lids, process in water bath canner for 10 minutes. Remove jars from canner and allow to cool undisturbed for 12-24 hours and check for seals.

This is a pretty nice chutney:

Pear Apple'n Cranberry Chutney

Prep Time: 45 minutes
    Cook Time: 2 hours
    Makes 6 half-pints

2 Cinnamon Sticks , broken in half
    1 teaspoon Whole Allspice
    1/2 teaspoon Whole Cloves
    1/2 teaspoon Whole Black Pepper
    2 pounds pears, peeled, cored, and finely chopped, (about 5 cups)
    1 1/2 pounds green apples, peeled, cored, and finely chopped, (about 4 cups)
    3 cups sugar
    1 1/2 cups distilled white vinegar (5% acidity)
    1 package (6 ounces) dried cranberries or one 12 ounce bag fresh cranberries, chopped
    1 medium onion, finely chopped, (1 cup)
    1/3 cup Crystallized Ginger, finely chopped

1. Tie cinnamon, allspice, cloves and pepper in a cheesecloth bag.
      2. Combine all ingredients in 6-quart saucepot; bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally. Cook until thickened, about 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours. As mixture starts to thicken, stir more frequently. Remove spice bag; discard.
      3. Ladle into hot half-pint-size canning jars, leaving 1/4-inch headspace. Run thin, non-metallic utensil down inside of jars to remove air bubbles. Wipe rim of jars clean with damp cloth.
      4. Cover jars with metal lids and screw on bands. Process in boiling water canner for 10 minutes.

And finally, the Jezebel, which I've done with artificial sweetener for Dad and it isn't as "firm" but it is sugarfree.

Cranberry Jezebel

12 oz bag fresh or frozen cranberries
    1 c. water
    3/4 c. white sugar
    1/2 c brown sugar
    3 Tablespoons horseradish
    1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard

Wash and pick over the berries. Put water and sugars in saucepan (large enough to prevent boil over) and bring to a boil, add berries and return to a boil, cook on medium for 15 to 20 minutes from the time it returns to a boil, stirring occasionally. Cool to lukewarm then stir in horseradish and Dijon mustard. Refrigerate for a few hours at least and enjoy!

Cindy's Notes: Reduce the amount of white sugar and substitute some fresh-squeezed orange juice for some, or all of the water. I also like to add a couple tablespoons of Cointreau. Sometimes I'll stir in a little orange zest along with the horseradish and Dijon.

Annie

• love2troll
    16 years ago

Annie,

So sorry for the bad news. ((((hugs)))) Makes ruining a batch of salsa so trivial.

I'll follow your recipe faithfully. (once) Still have a LOT of frozen cranberries.

Thanks much!

john