Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cindy_7

Pomona for a thickener in gravy?

cindy-6b/7a VA
10 years ago

Has anyone tried this?

Corn and flour and root crops are off my diet. Without them making gravy is a problem.

Any other suggestions or ideas?

Thanks.

Cindy

Comments (18)

• dgkritch
    10 years ago

I don't have any great suggestions for an alternative, but I'm curious what you're putting gravy ON if no potatoes or stuffing or bread to mop it up? OK, so I'm pretty traditional, but that threw me!

If it's for meat, maybe a simple pan sauce would suffice. Just cook down a deglazing liquid.

Deanna

• seysonn
    10 years ago

You can do it with , eg, with mushroom, onions(blended in/with chicken or beef broth).

• kastle
    10 years ago

No clue re Pomona, but I've used agar agar to thicken stuff before. It's from seaweed (kind of acts like gelatin). Also, does arrowroot count as root veg? ( probably)

And, finally, you may want to google paleo gravy thickener. The paleo diet also excludes those foods. I found an article suggesting nit flours or vegetable gums like xantham gum

• cindy-6b/7a VA
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions.

I was trying to make gravy for the mushroom and green bean casserole which I have been making from scratch. It called for a roux - butter and flour. The butter I can have, not the flour.

Heading to google now to look at paleo gravy thickeners.

Does the agar agar become liquid when re-heating?

Cindy

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

Can you use a rice flour? I think you might be able to get at Oriental stores.

According to my son, agar agar doesn't become liquid if heating, but I haven't tried any. He wants me to try it in jellies.

• cindy-6b/7a VA
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Unfortunately, all grains or grain products are on the 'do not eat' list.

Thanks for the information about agar agar.

Cindy

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

I checked with my son about the agar agar. He said that it will liquidify if it gets heated with HIGH heat. I thought it will work for your gravy. I'm not sure about the taste. Agar Agar that he gets is a jelled cube, not the flakes, He advised to use very little or you would have solid gravy.

Marla

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Clear Jel, the instant kind, makes great gravy.

Dave

• cindy-6b/7a VA
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Corn and corn products are on the 'do not eat' list.
    Cindy

• sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)
    10 years ago

Agar works. I use it all the time. I like that it works quick. So little is needed. A tsp in 1/2 cup water, then add to any chosen liquid/broth over low heat. It has a wide temp window where it stays semi-thick depending how much you use. And will thicken at room temp unlike gelatin. Cold in the fridge, it can be cut into cubes, also depending on how much you use.
    I added a thick cold spoonful to a broth last night for a rotisserie duck dinner.
    (it was already a 'gravy', made saturday)
    I have no diet restrictions, just have it as another option.
    I have the sheets and the powder. Worth experimenting with as your diet seems
    limited. White miso makes a nice mushroom gravy.
    I recently read that it is for a gelatin, not cooking. I had no idea. But it works fine.
    I was told it would not work, but it does. And its good for you, unlike other choices.

• tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
    10 years ago

I am guessing that tapioca is probably on the do not eat list, but tapioca starch is often used as a thickener.

You could also try experimenting with chia seeds. For the roux, I would grind them. You can look up chia gel which is often used as an egg substitute. Flax seed also makes a gel but I tend to prefer chia.

• sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)
    10 years ago

I made a sweet pea, edamame, chick pea humus over the weekend.
    I'm using it as a 'gravy' thickener tonight. (i think you are eating beans)
    If you have a good blender you can make a gravy out of any beans, even string beans.
    Lots of herbs and lemon. Non fat greek yogurt...I'm making a veg curry.
    Ground flax does get nice and thick but too much of it can be a mean laxative.

• cindy-6b/7a VA
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for all of the ideas.

The only beans that are on the list to eat are green beans. All others are not - that includes soy, garbanzo, black, brown, etc.

Tapioca and chia seeds are out as they have too many carbs in them, but thanks for the suggestions.

I did order some agar agar from Amazon which looks like it will be very good for thickening.

Thanks again.

Cindy

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    10 years ago

What is this diet that forbids so many foods? Just curious that butter is OK but a lot of extremely good, nutritious foods are not.

• cindy-6b/7a VA
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm not sure if the diet has a name. It's very similar to the Paleo diet and the Adkin's diet. Just following dr's. orders.

No grains, roots veggies, winter squash, fruit, milk or anthing else with a high carb count.

I can have green salads, proteins (including seafoods), broccoli, spinach, zucchini, certain nuts, low carb cheeses, eggs, butter, green peppers, almond milk, etc.

I check everything for carb counts now.

Cindy

• tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
    10 years ago

FWIW, my daughter is diabetic and we have to calculate her carb intake in order to give her the appropriate amount of insulin. When it comes to things like gravies (or the amount of starch to make a decent roux), we do not even have to take that minimal amount into consideration when calculating that it is divided between 6-8 servings. She also does not receive insulin for the carbs in nuts or seeds (unless done as a butter that often has some extra sweetener).

Good luck in your endeavors, carb awareness is definitely not a fun thing.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    10 years ago

Is it for weight loss or some sort of nutritional problem? I think I'd die of boredom on a diet like that before it had any noticeable effect;-)

I think I'd give up on gravy altogether and have things like apple sauce, cranberry sauce, chutney, yoghurt with herbs stirred in, tomato sauce (just saute some chopped onion, add passata with a little vinegar and sugar), salad dressing, mayo, balsamic vinegar, etc.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    10 years ago

Is it for weight loss or some sort of nutritional problem? I think I'd die of boredom on a diet like that before it had any noticeable effect;-)

I think I'd give up on gravy altogether and have things like apple sauce, cranberry sauce, chutney, yoghurt with herbs stirred in, tomato sauce (just saute some chopped onion, add passata with a little vinegar and sugar), salad dressing, mayo, balsamic vinegar, etc.