Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bejay9_10

Avocado - freezing - oxidizing.

bejay9_10
15 years ago

We received a blessing of slightly ripe avocados. As our own planted tree has not proven to be productive (maybe next year), it was a challenge as to the best way to preserve this nice bounty.

I had purchased some frozen ones at a local market, and noted on the package that the ingredients called for ascorbic and citric acid. The avocado was first peeled, halved and apparently dipped in ascorbic/citric acid, then frozen. I was frankly impressed with the fresh taste when I used them.

Making shorter story - I was out of ascorbic acid - but went heavy on the citric - which I still had. The result was browning on the top (of course). Well, I have since ordered some ascorbic acid - just in case we have another windfall. My GS suggested that I should have saved the pit and inserted into the avocado before freezing.

This prompted the question as to why does a pit put into -avocados - such as guacamole - keep it from oxidizing? Is there any scientific explanation for this - or ??

Bejay

Comments (16)

• ksrogers
    15 years ago

The pit seems to give off a small amount of an enzyme that can reduce oxidation/browning. I don't really find that to be true however. Citric is NOT a substitute for Ascorbic acid. Citric only offers a plain acidic taste that something like lemon or lime would introduce, but without the citrus flavors, just sourness. Ascorbic is used as an antixident and is used in many commercial foods. They also use a form of sulfur to prevent browning of dried berries and apples. Without it, the dried items will oxidize and sometimes take on an odd taste. For a guacamole dip, you can add just the lime or lemon juice, but the addition of ascorbic acid will help keep its green color longer.

• bejay9_10
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ken - as usual - I find you a great source of stored information.

I did order the ascorbic acid - finally on line, as I was having a bit of difficulty locating it. I got it at Barry Farms, along with some more low methyl-Ox pectin (Pomona), which I was running out of.

Thanks for the reply.

Bejay

• ksrogers
    15 years ago

Love that Pomona!! Today, I opened a jar of 2 year old blueberry reserves. It was quite firm, almost to a point of being in small bits the size of the blues and not very spreadable. I used dried, frozen and fresh blueberries to make it, but failed to add the acid blend that I like. It was OK, but not quite as flavorful as I would have hoped for. I used it on some Belgian waffles. For the rest of the pint jar, I plan to add a bit of honey and stor in some of the acid blend, which should greatly improve its spreading and flavor.

• melva02
    15 years ago

Bejay, I always put a layer of lime juice on top of my guacamole between making and serving it, to keep the air out and add some extra ascorbic acid to the most vulnerable part. If you wanted to freeze any mashed ones (or smallish chunks packed tightly), you could do the same thing.

I've never heard of using the avocado pit but I wouldn't trust it. The exposed top layer is the part that browns, and the avocado has been in contact with the pit all its life. Why would adding the pit to the middle of the dip somehow suddenly infuse the whole thing with protective enzymes?

Melissa

• bejay9_10
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Melissa - Like you, I wonder about those "protective enzymes" but again, old ideas are sometimes difficult to define or research - for that matter. If it works, however, I'll continue the practice, but my curiosity likes occasional proof once in awhile.

I will use the lime idea - they are so plentiful in the garden now - truly a splendid tree with an overload of fruit this year. The mandarins are coming. Fortunately, my grandson loves fresh fruit and perhaps I won't feel too obligated to fill the freezer - again - this year.

I just recently found the frozen avocados in the market, also guacamole - and was happy that I learned a new tactic for preserving them. I do have a newly planted Haas avocado tree and now that I found that they like lots of nitrogen fertilizing, hope to see it become big enough to provide us with some decent fruit in the future.

Appreciate your interesting comments.

Bejay

• Linda_Lou
    15 years ago

Bejay,
    Anytime you don't have Fruit Fresh, use lemon juice.
    The pit is an old wives tale, it won't work.

• ksrogers
    15 years ago

As I indicated in the second sentence, I have never seen any indication that the big pit would stop browning.

• bejay9_10
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Linda Lou -

Sooo - another OWT that bit the dust - is nothing sacred anymore? Maybe that's where the saying comes from "it's the pits!" Sorry.

My canner is working fine - although this season it seems I've done more BWB than pressure type, also a lot of freezing. I may have my gauge checked soon though, as there could be some calibrating necessary. We love those pressure canned pinto beans, and I want to make sure it is working OK.

I was happy to learn that I could preserve avocado by freezing, as they don't stay fresh very long after ripening, and must be either eaten or preserved quickly. The only problem was the unappetising browning - so was nice to be able to solve that issue so easily.

Looking forward to cooking turkey today. Yesterday, I made fresh cranberry sauce, bread dressing (except for liquids to be added just before stuffing this a.m.) and apple pie - from the apples I froze (in pie-shape) several weeks ago.

This a.m. all I need to do is stuff the bird and pop in the oven, and have plenty of time to peel and mash potatoes and make gravy when bird is done. I froze some Hubbard squash that is home-grown and will thaw, heat and add brown sugar, butter, salt and pepper (my GD's favorite). Also will grace my table with the pickles I grew and fermented in my pantry.

Perhaps I will have extra time to bake those sweet rolls that I found a recipe for on this forum awhile back -

Life is good! Happy Thanksgiving Linda and everyone!

Bejay

• shelly218
    13 years ago

My husband and I are moving to Mexico as missionaries next year. There is an abundance of fruits there, including lots of avocados. Does anyone have an exact amount of ascorbic and citric acid to add to them? Thanks!

• bejay9_10
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Since that posting - and several attempts to freeze avocado with retaining the "fresh" taste, I only recall that they can be mixed with either mayo or sour cream with added chopped garlic and fresh cilantro, salt, pepper - then they resembled the fresh-made somewhat.

Sorry, that I don't recall any specific recipe - but Fruit Fresh comes to mind. I use a lot of lemon and lime juice as an anti-browning agent, and guacamole calls for lime juice in the making.

However, that said - If you are going to be where avocado is grown - and presumably less expensive, I would opt for using fresh - nothing like it when served at the peak of ripenesss.

Bejay

• readinglady
    13 years ago

If you add too much ascorbic or citric acid to the pulp it's going to be bitter, so lime or lemon juice would be better flavor-wise.

Unfortunately, once cut avocados just don't last very well. You can slow down the process but a lot of the methods for preventing darkening will compromise the flavor if used to excess.

Forget the pit. The only place the pit prevents darkening is directly underneath it. Saran wrap pressed to the surface will achieve the same result.

Carol

• safaribabe
    13 years ago

Hmm, well, I might disagree about the pit. I keep the pit on a halved avocado if I am only going to eat half of one side and refrigerate the other. Tried and true, leaving the pit in keeps the rest of the exposed flesh fresher. If I take it all the way out and refrigerate a pitless half, then it browns faster.

But in this case, what I think is happening is the pit acts as a barricade against the flesh of the avo so only a small amount is exposed to air. There is less surface for the food to start breaking down.

So I can sort of see how the idea of the pit came into play with reducing browning. But.... I don't think the pit would do anything dumped in a bowl of guac. I think it acts more as a "seal" when left in the half of an avocado.

• readinglady
    13 years ago

That's the point. The pit blocks oxidation below the point where it rests. But whatever is exposed will still brown.

So anything that blocks oxidation will have the same effect. You could make guacamole ahead and cover with a thin film of mayonnaise (not authentic but good) or a skim of avocado oil. Or saran wrap pressed down. The pit has no "special magic."

According to Harold McGee, avocados are one of the fruits and vegetables that have a naturally high metabolism, which means they deteriorate faster than more lethargic fruits and vegetables.

So avocados, mushrooms, figs, berries are in the first category while apples, pears, cabbages, carrots are in the second.

In some respects, trying to preserve avocado is a losing battle.

Carol

• lshanemajeski_gmail_com
    13 years ago

Are you able to can/bottle a dip that has avocados in it without it turning brown until you open it up?

• growinidaho
    13 years ago

Interesting topic! I freeze unpeeled bananas for baking. Did anyone try to freeze an unpeeled avocado? I need to try it since I live an hour from the store and I only shop for groceries every 3 or 4 weeks.

• woodpecker11
    12 years ago

So how did it work when you froze your avocado unpeeled??

I live on an island in Alaska, avocados sometimes get frozen during shipment (not intentionally) and are mushy and brown when you open them. Of course, they have had time to thaw while sitting in the store waiting to be bought. But I'm wondering if they are frozen whole, thawed and mashed right away if they would make good guacamole!!! I also freeze bananas whole and have good results with that. Living in Alaska I often buy fruits/veggies in bulk during the summer and preserve by canning, drying or freezing since winter choices are bleak and if available, are very expensive.