Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dehydrating onion flakes

Posted by catherinet z5 (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 18, 11 at 10:11

I use dehydrated onion flakes sometimes and the price of them has gone up alot. So I thought.....why don't I make my own??
I have an old Ronco dehydrator that works well.

I can't cut the onions into small pieces, since they would fall through the grates. Can I get to the point of having the texture that the store-bought ones have.....like crispy, without burning? My Ronco book says they're done when they're leathery......but I'm thinking I'd like them crispier than that. Do I just dry them longer? I just don't want to burn them.
Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dehydrating onion flakes

Other dehydrators sell plastic tray sheets with very small holes so that finely chopped pieces don't fall through. You might find that some of them will fit your Ronco since the smaller the pieces you begin with the faster and better they dry.

Can you control the temperature on your model? If not then it is even more important to chop them small first to get them dry enough - crispy, not leathery is best - without burning.

The Ronco is very limited in what it can do so you will just have to experiment with yours to determine the best size and time. If you really get into dehydrating foods you'll want to consider investing in a much better dehydrator. Lots of discussions here about which work best.

Dave

o

You can also cut circles from parchment or foil and line the dehydrator trays with that to prevent the pieces from falling through. I'd definitely try the dehydrator over the oven. And, yes, just dry them until they are the texture you desire.

You can pop some in the food processor or blender to make your own onion powder as well. You may need to add just a tiny bit of cornstarch to keep it from clumping.

Let us know how it goes, OK?

Deanna

o

Thanks Dave and Deanna,

No, this machine doesn't have much control to it, except the bottom and top vent and rotating the shelves. I had considered an Excalibur in the past, but really didn't do enough drying to warrant such an expense. But I am getting into it more, so I may splurge! I've been doing herbs in the Fall and I occasionally do jerky. Now I'm going to do
some garlic and onion and maybe some fruit leather.
Its fun!
Thanks again!

o

I slice onions 1/4-1/3 in thick, lay them out in a single layer on the trays, and dry them over-night. Then its pretty easy just to break them up with my hands into flakes. In fact, its hard not to.

o

Thanks David!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here