Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Salt Free Dill Pickles

Posted by breasley 7 (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 30, 11 at 10:15

I love fermented pickles, but the high salt content makes my blood pressure go through the roof. I was nearly convinced I'd just have to give up on dill pickles all together because even processed dill's have lots of salt. Then I found this recipe somewhere in cyberspace for SFDP. Has anyone seen/tried or even heard of such a concept? I'd love to hear what you think of this recipe. Also, if anyone has another solution for low sodium dill pickles.. I'm all ears.

Salt-Free Dill Pickles

5 small pickling cucumbers
1/2 small onion, chopped or thinly sliced
3-4 cloves garlic, chopped or thinly sliced
1 cup white, distilled vinegar
1-4 tablespoons white sugar (depending on your desire for sweetness -- 1 tbsp. will be more like traditional dills while 4 tbsp. will be closer to bread & butter)
2 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon dill seed
1 teaspoon mustard seed
1/4 teaspoon dried red chili flakes (optional)

Pack cucumber spears or "chips" in a freezer container along with onion & garlic. Combine spices, vinegar, & water in a saucepan. Bring to boiling, reduce heat, & simmer for 1 minute. Take off heat. Once brine has cooled, fill container with vinegar solution leaving 1/2 - 1 inch of head space. Secure top and shake or stir well to distribute spices. Place in refrigerator. Allow 2-3 days for pickles to absorb flavorings. Shake container or stir mixture every day to redistribute brine & spices. Freeze. Thaw pickles for approximately four hours before serving.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Salt Free Dill Pickles

As long as they are frozen and not canned then you can use most any recipe you wish with no safety concerns. Flavor would be the primary issue, that and texture.

Fermented pickle flavor without salt or low-salt would be difficult if not impossible. But there are other, even preferred, ways of making pickles besides fermentation. Have you explored all the so-called quick-pack pickle recipes in the Ball Blue Book and at NCHFP?

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: NCHFP - Pickles including Dill recipes

o

There is no fermenting process in your recipe, the taste will be very different. So it all depends on your taste. For me fermented pickles taste much better than the ones preserved with vinegar. You can ferment pickles with lower amount of salt (approx 1/2 of regular amount for fermented pickles). Ferment for a few days at room temperature (4-5 days) and then put them in fridge. They can be kept in a fridge for couple weeks or even longer this way. This would be what sometimes is called "half sour" pickles. No vinegar is required. Just pickles, brine, dill seeds, garlic, etc.
Olga
Olga

o

You can make these and can them : No salt in them.

Here is a link that might be useful: No salt dill pickles.

o

Linda Lou, the recipe says "2 tbsp canning or pickling salt".

Jim

o

Salt is optional in pickles. It is only for flavor. It can be left out. Only fermented ones have to have salt.

o

This is an old thread but if anyone wants the flavor of real salt cured cucumber pickles, I found a listing by googling the subject. It was a patent application if I recall. What the auther tried based on a chemists perspective was that grain alcohol can be substitured molecule for molecule for salt in the curing process. He gave the formulas to use and I followed them and made a plastic crock full of wonderful dill pickles in my spare bathtub. It takes almost a month to cure fully and the pickles are nice and sour just like real deli dill and like the salt pickles my mother and father used to make in the 1930s and 49s. Sorry but I only made them once but you can find the reference by googling like I did. And no you can't drink the brine, the alcohol is all used up in the process and the brine tastes sour and full of dill.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here