Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
seaglassgirl_gw

Quince Recipes

seaglassgirl
12 years ago

Hi - I cooked up some quince I was given yesterday and put it in jelly bags and because I ended up with so much juice almost right away I threw the pulp away and filtered the juice 3 or 4 times more and then put it in the refrigerator. However I can't can it today so is it okay to leave it until Monday? Also does anyone have any recipes for quince other than just a plain jelly? There didn't seem to be many recipes available.

many thanks

Kathy

Comments (6)

• 2ajsmama
    12 years ago

Do a search - there was a thread a year or so ago. Not much you can do with juice besides jelly, since you threw away the pulp. We like Paradise jelly - mix apple, cranberry, and quince juice to taste (I'd make at least 2 of the 3 from fresh fruit if you don't want to add pectin), 3/4C - 1C of sugar for each cup of juice. Linda Z just featured it on her blog, she cooked the fruit all together but since you already have the quince juice you can just mix apple-cranberry (I usually do apples and cranberries together, Joy of Cooking does all 3 separate). HTH

• digdirt2
    12 years ago

For just the juice the choices are limited. The pulp has more uses I think.

There are a couple of recipes for a meat sauce that I have seen in previous discussions here and pre-cooked it can be used as a replacement for a small amount of the other fruits in conserves, chutneys, relishes and fruit-based sauces and salsas. You can also can them like poached pears.

It's just not a popular or big-demand item so recipes specific for canning are slim.

You can leave it till Monday but no longer and be sure it is reheated before using it.

Dave

• calliope
    12 years ago

Quince leather is nice, and it can also be boiled down to a type of hard-tack candy. Many old-timers used quince along with other jelly juices. Quince-apple is very nice. You can make a delicious jelly out of quince/cider as well.

It freezes just fine. I often just freeze bags of quince juice for jelly making down the road. Appears to be more popular outside the U.S. and definitely was once a popular fruit. The trees are just exquisite in bloom. I have three of them.

• veeta
    12 years ago

Linda Z's Joy of Jams, etc. has jam recipes. I love it just by itself. The preserves are nice too. Are you looking for savory recipes as well as sweet--just canning recipes or desserts too? There are plenty of sweet recipes online, but the savory is harder. It is more of an Afghani/North African thing--some great stews.

• CA Kate z9
    12 years ago

This is one I copied into my collection of Quince recipes. (I haven't a clue as to who Joyce is anymore.)

Quince Jelly scented with Vanilla

Makes about 4 to 5 8-oz jars
    4 lbs. quinces, cut into pieces â¨1 vanilla bean sugar â¨2 Tbsp. lemon juice
    Place the quince pieces and the vanilla bean in your preserving pot and add enough water to completely cover them. Cover and bring to a boil over medium heat. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 45 minutes, until the quinces are very soft. Mash the quince pulp with a potato masher and cook for another 5 minutes. Remove from the heat. Remove the vanilla bean.
    Transfer the mixture to a dampened jelly bag or a colander lined with a double thickness of cheesecloth. Let the juice drip through overnight.
    The next day, measure the juice; there should be about 4 cups. Discard the pulp. Prepare the preserving jars.
    In your preserving pot, combine the quince juice and 3/4 cup of sugar for each 1 cup of juice. Add the lemon juice. Bring to a boil over high heat and boil rapidly, stirring often, for about 20-25 minutes, or until the jelly tests done. Stir more often towards the end of the cooking time to prevent scorching.
    Remove from the heat, stir and skim off foam if necessary. Pour the jelly into hot, sterilized jars, leaving 1/2 inch head space. Wipe the rims clean. Seal according to manufacture's directions. Process the jars in a boiling water bath for 5 minutes.
    NOTE: If you cannot use a vanilla bean, substitute 1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract, adding it just before the jelly is poured into the jars.
    Joyce

• wally_1936
    12 years ago

My Grandmother use to made Quince butter [Jam] I was the only one who ate it but it was very delicious and I still miss that wonderful taste so why would anyone throw away the best part of the fruit just to have jelly?