Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
duajones

Refrigerator pickle recipes

duajones
16 years ago

I have had a hard time using the search feature to find recipes for refrigerator pickles. While there are many recipes to look at with a quick google search, I would like to see and try recipes from those of you that make pickles this way. Please post your favorite recipe here. Thanks!!

Comments (8)

• lyndaluu2
    16 years ago

Bread & Butter Chips
    3 large onions sliced thin
    4 qts. pickling cukes, approx 24, cut thin 1/4"

Mix and pour over the cukes & onions the following:
    4 cups granulated sugar
    1/2 tbsp turmeric
    1/2 tbsp celery seed
    1/2 tbsp mustard seed
    1/4 cup pickling salt
    4 cups white vinegar
    Divide into 2 1 qt jars.
    DO NOT COOK!!!
    Put into refrigerator.
    Shake each jar several times a day to mix.
    Let stand two (2) weeks before using.
    I make these every year.

Linda P

• kayskats
    16 years ago

do you want sweet or sour?

• duajones
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I personally prefer sour or dill but plan to make both as I have friends that like sweet pickles.

• duajones
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I have read here where you can brine the pickles at room temp for a couple days, add vinegar to stop the fermentation and then put in the fridge. Id like to try that as well.

• ksrogers
    16 years ago

There is a very recent group of threads regarding ths same exact subject. Suggest you check sveral of the recent threads. The salt brine, then vinegar is a half sour. Again, there are ever recent threads here about this same exact subject. In case you don't know hat a 'thread' is, its a group of message posts that pertain to a subject in most cases.

• duajones
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I was hoping the fine folks here would post their recipes in THIS thread. ksrogers, you have a tried and true recipe dont you? I would love to try it if you are willing to post it in THIS thread.

• ksrogers
    16 years ago

As mentioned. I have several options and sugestions. Nothing really tried and true. None of my stuff is actually any recipe, per se. I simply use what is most common in the flavors I want to get. The posts in other threads here are easy to find. I even supplied the exact amount of pickling salt to use per gallon of water. This measurment was taken from a recent Good Eats show with host Alton Brown. The salt is 5 1/2 ounces to 1 gallon of water. Instead, I do mine by taste and prefer to use the mixes from Ball and Mrs. Wages. These mixes contain the salt and spices. I add more fresh dill weed and fresh garlic to mine. I also am able to taste test the brine for the proper amount of salt. This isn't a measurement. Its simply the way my polish grandmother showed me. Suggest you do a bit more reading through the threads. Nothing is given on a silver platter and a little reading can help give you more insight and ideas. Refrigerator pickles are simply ones that reside in the fridge most of the time. They should be a salt brine type or a vinegar type. In both cases you use a little vinegar with the salt brine, and you use a little salt in the vingar brine. Flavors can be all kinds of pickling spices, sweet, or sour, or even hot and spicy. Why would we want to repost the same recipes or processes over and over again, especially if you had just read the last two weeks activity.

Here is a link that might be useful: Refrigerator pickle searches

• duajones
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the help ......

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES