Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kathy_94952

Carol's Hot n Sweet Confetti Jelly question

Kathy F
10 years ago

I apologize if this has been asked and answered already; I looked, but couldn't find it.

I made a batch of Carol's Hot n Sweet Confetti Jelly (aka Big Batch Habanero Gold) yesterday - love it! But it is a bit stiffer than I would prefer. I've seen some folks making it without the pectin, but that is a bit too soupy for me. So, can I use just part of a packet to get an in between level of gel? Or can I increase all the other ingredients in the recipe in proportion to each other; say increase everything by 50% but leave the pectin at one envelope?

Thanks,
Kathy

Comments (5)

• readinglady
    10 years ago

Yes to both, though I already doubled that recipe from the original ratio of product to pectin.

Liquid pectin is less reliable than people realize. You can certainly reduce farther but I don't know what the resulting consistency will be.

Give it a shot and let us know how it turns out.

Carol

• 2ajsmama
    10 years ago

It's hard to save a partial pouch of liquid pectin - I'd try using powdered pectin (which you can start with maybe 1T and work up if needed). I got this recipe off an extension webite (forget which), it calls for 1 package (1.75 oz) but you can use less.

APRICOT PEPPER JELLY
    Makes 6 half-pint (250-ml) jars.

1 1/4 cups dried apricot halves, finely slivered 300 ml
    1 cup red or green bell pepper strips 250 ml (about 1 medium-size pepper)
    1/3 cup chopped jalapeno or other hot pepper, stems and seeds removed 75 ml
    2 cups cider vinegar (5%) 500 ml
    4 cups sugar 1 L
    1 package powdered fruit pectin
    1/2 tsp butter or margarine 2 ml
    5 drops red or green food coloring 5 drops (depending on the type of pepper used)

1. Cover dried apricots with boiling water. Leave for approximately 10 minutes. Drain.
    2. Combine bell pepper strips, chopped hot peppers, drained apricots, and 1/2 cup (125 ml) vinegar in a food processor or blender. Process until partially ground with small chunks remaining. Pour into a saucepan.
    3. Mix 1/4 cup (63 ml) sugar with pectin. Stir into fruit mixture. Add butter and food coloring.
    4. Bring to a boil quickly, stirring constantly. Immediately stir in remaining sugar.
    5. Bring to a full boil, stirring, and boil hard for 1 minute. Remove from heat.
    6. Skim foam off the top. Then ladle jelly into hot half-pint jars, leaving 1/4 inch (0.5 cm) of headspace.
    7. Wipe jar rims with a clean, damp cloth. Secure lids and ring bands, and process in a boiling water bath as prescribed in Table 8.
    Table 8. Recommended Processing Time for Apricot Pepper Jelly in a Water Bath Canner

Processing Time at
    Altitudes of 0-1,000 ft 1,001-6,000 ft above 6,000 ft
    Jar Size
    half-pint or pint 15 min 20 min 25 min

I like the jelly a little runny, so I don't use pectin in this one at all, the apricots are enough. You could also try adding a little homemade apple pectin/juice if you want to use liquid.

• Kathy F
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I made a second batch and only used 1/2 to 2/3 of the pouch of pectin; and the result was actually an even thicker consistency than the first batch when I used the whole pouch! Go figure. :) In both cases I used apples instead of apricots because they were ones I dried from my trees.

I think next time I'll try increasing the ingredients and using a full pouch. I've never used liquid pectin before and feel more comfortable with the powdered, but love this recipe so will keep trying. :)

• malna
    10 years ago

Take into consideration that apples are high in natural pectin, and apricots are moderate in natural pectin. The amount of liquid pectin was calculated using a lower pectin fruit. Sounds like you might not need much at all.

I get the weirdest results from liquid pectin, too. Never consistent from batch to batch, even using two pouches from the same box. One will be runnier than the other. I can't figure the stuff out.

• readinglady
    10 years ago

I remember Annie talking about making Habanero Gold for a canning class and of all times for the pectin to fail. The jam didn't even set up.

I agree. People think because it's a commercial product it's 100% reliable and it's not. I'd be more inclined to stir in a tablespoon of warm water when I open the jar than twist myself in knots trying to figure that stuff out. You just never know.

Carol