Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Canning apple slices question

Posted by eye_love_begonias 9a (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 18, 12 at 11:22

Hi Harvest gang,
I have a canning question for you. I canned apples slices yesterday per the instructions here

http://nchfp.uga.edu/how/can_02/apple_sliced.html

and my apples turned out like this (See photo at the bottom of the blog page)

http://beingfrugalbychoice.blogspot.com/2012/11/canned-apple-slices.html

I had about 4 (of 21) jars boil over as I was pulling them out of the canning pot and one jar that had floated up and was laying on it's side, devoid of any syrup (that one went into the fridge).

Of the 4 jars that boiled over, the syrup level is about 1" lower than what they started out with and the apples float leaving about 3/4-1 inch of syrup showing at the bottom of the jar. All jars sealed except the jar that was laying on it's side. (The apples that are at the top of the jar are above the syrup level and not submerged in the syrup)

My questions for you all are;
1) are the apples in the jars that boiled over ok?
2) I left 1/2"-3/4" head space - so what can I do in the future to prevent this.

I'll try to post a few photos in a bit.
Thanks in advance for any advise.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Canning apple slices question

Hopefully the photos will show up
see below link
http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj62/Begonia4Me/IMG_1012.jpg

Here is a link that might be useful: Jar showing loss of syrup

o

Next photo shows most of the jars

Here is a link that might be useful: Canned apple slices

o

Next just shows another jar with syrup loss

Here is a link that might be useful: Apple slices

o

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Your jars look very heavily packed, perhaps over-packed and that can easily cause boil over. To prevent the problem in the future, don't fill the jars so full. 1/2" headspace but use less apple slices and more syrup per jar so there is room for the apples to expand.

Did you raw pack or hot pack? Makes a big difference in how the slices respond to the processing as the instructions say "Raw packs make poor quality products" as the apples swell in the jar and force the liquid out.

Which level of syrup did you use?

It also helps to let the jars sit in the pot until all the hyper-boiling activity ceases before lifting them out. As to the jar that tipped over and floated, if you cleaned the rims well then likely the ring wasn't screwed on tight enough.

They are safe to keep and store but those above the liquid will brown so use them first. Be sure to wash the jars well before storing and especially under the bands as you remove them for storage as syrup will have packed in there.

Dave

o

Thank you so much Dave.

I did not raw pack. I followed the recipe per the nchfp web site and boiled 5 minutes. I used plain water and citric acid as the recipe called for water or syrup per one's preference.

I think you are correct in the over packing and leaving them in the pot until the rolling boil stops. I noticed that as I was pulling some, that is when I saw them boiling over. A bit of patience on my part would have been better.

I have removed the rings and washed the jars well - some were pretty sticky.
Thank you again for your helpful insight! So appreciated!

o

I hope you are happy with them canned in water. Most find that method's results to be mushy and with little flavor. The consensus is that using apple juice or even the lightest of the sugar syrup recipes for the liquid gives much better results.

Dave

o

They taste flat and mushy with no sugar. Sugar helps with firmness as well as taste and less floating.
Then, do not remove the jars from the canner for 5 min. after the processing time is up. Remove the lid, then wait another 5 min. This helps with the siphoning of the liquid.
I also think thin slices like that are too mushy. Just my opinion. I usually make about 1/2 inch thick.

o

There are times when it's just darned hard to do without the sugar and this is one of them. Everyone's taste is different though and you may find these slices satisfactory.

If not, drain off the water and puree for applesauce. That's one way to salvage.

Carol

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here