Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
recipes for persimmon jam?

Posted by cabrita 9b SoCal (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 10, 11 at 11:25

My neighbor has offered us persimmons, and we intended to make persimmon jam. The ball book, or any of my other preserving books are quiet on the subject of persimmon. Not sure if I should trust random internet recipes, pH is about 4.7? So it should be acidified, but how much?

There is a lady at our local farmer's and crafts market who sells persimmon jam, so we know it is possible to make it and have it taste good.

Any experience with persimmon jam anyone?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: recipes for persimmon jam?

3 or 4 previous discussions on persimmons and jam recipe come up with the search. Didn't read through them all but it gives you a starting point.

If you use the standard citric acid measurements then the pH would be covered with minimal effect on taste. If you want to use lemon juice then depending on the size jars you use it can be figured based on the standard acidification recommendations of 2T per quart. But most jam recipes I have seen use orange juice as the acid.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Persimmon Jam

o

Thanks Dave. I read all the previous threads, this is why I asked the question. There was no satisfactory answer. I wanted to know if anyone had tried acidifying at the level the NCHFP recommends for fig jam, and what were the results? I know that would be safe, but does it taste any good?

In any case, I think the persimmons went somewhere else so I won't be making the jam. It would be nice to know for next year though.

o

Sorry but no way to know from your post if you had read them or not. :)

And they are more acidic than the figs so wouldn't need as much added acid.

I would think that if you use one of the many recipes calling for orange juice the acid should be fine not to mention an improved flavor.

Dave

o

The orange juice recipes all seem to be freezer jam recipes. Is there a canning one I missed? Anyhow, I posted just in case someone made persimmon jam by BWB and lemon juice (or any citrus juice) and was happy with the results. The only person that made persimmon jam and posted was not happy with the flavor of the jam.

o

Kraft Foods has a recipe that should be a good trusted one to use. Here's a link to it. http://www.kraftrecipes.com/recipes/mcp-persimmon-jam-51950.aspx

o

I liked the kraft's recipe.
I will try it

This post was edited by seysonn on Thu, Oct 3, 13 at 19:46

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here