Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wertach2

Pecan pie, what's your favorite recipe?

I make the standard recipe with Karo syrup. My family and I love it.

My elderly neighbor made a pecan pie for me last weekend to thank me for the veggies I've been bringing to her from my garden.

It was kind of like a custard pecan pie. It's OK, but not nearly as good as the Karo, IMHO.

I know that taste buds differ, but I'm thinking she might not have ever tried the Karo recipe?

Is the custard type better to some of Y'all?

I'm making six for Thanksgiving to share with my family and I'm thinking about giving the extra one to her since she has bunches of grand kids that will be there for T-day.

She might ask for the recipe if they like it, and the next time she decides to make one for me..... I'll like it better!

Here is a link that might be useful: Karo pecan pie recipe

Comments (14)

• thatcompostguy
    10 years ago

Open car door.
    Drive to Sam's.
    Walk to the seasonal pie display.
    Shell out $10.
    Drive home.
    Devour.

They really are delicious. And with the price of shelled pecans, since I don't have my own tree, it's worth it!

• nancyofnc
    10 years ago

Make pecan pie without the corn syrup and with less sugar!

No Corn Syrup Pecan Pie
    1 9" pie crust, bottom pricked with fork, pre-baked 375F 15 min. on a cookie sheet

5 eggs
    *1 cup white sugar
    1/2 cup brown sugar
    Pinch salt
    6 tablespoons butter, melted

1 tablespoon vanilla extract
    1 cup pecan halves, toasted
    1 cup pecans coarsely chopped

In a saucepan, beat the eggs until foamy. Add sugars, salt, and butter. On medium low heat warm the mixture until hot but do not boil. Stir in vanilla and pecans.

Pour pecan mixture into the hot crust and bake 30 to 40 minutes, until center just slightly jiggles.

Let cool on a wire rack.

* If you want a more "dark Karo" flavor, reduce the white sugar to 3/4 cup and add 1/4 cup molasses or sorghum.

Nancy

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    10 years ago

I don't make it often, our pecan pie eaters seem to come and go (ie, my Sis's ex DH ;)). My nephews wife though asked a few years ago if it would be OK if she requested pecan pie for holidays, it meant 'home' to her (from Texas).
    I'm the family pie maker, and I try to make sure everyone regularly gets their favorites when we're together so of course I now include it but its just a couple of times a year.

I've only used 'Dear Abbys' recipe....

Dear Abby Pecan Pie

unbaked 9-inch pie crust
    1 cup light corn syrup
    1 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
    3 eggs, slightly beaten
    1/3 cup butter, melted
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    1 cup (I use more) pecan halves

Heat oven to 350 degrees.
    In a large bowl, combine corn syrup, sugar, eggs, butter, salt and vanilla; mix well.
    Pour filling into unbaked pie crust.
    Sprinkle with pecan halves.
    Bake for 45- 50 minutes or until center is set.
    (Toothpick inserted in center will come out clean, when pie is done.).
    (If crust or pie appears to be getting too brown, cover with foil for the remaining baking time.).

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

We like the ones where you layer chocolate chips in with the pecans. :)

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Emeril's Pecan Chocolate Chip Pie

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

Is there any recipes for sugar-free or less sugar pecan pie recipes? Hubby is diabetic and I love pecan pie, I would like to make one that he could eat if he wished.

• seysonn
    10 years ago

Is there any recipes for sugar-free or less sugar pecan pie recipes?
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

For sugarless, you can use STEVIA extract sweetener. It is all nature made, NO side effect and lots of other benefit.

There is a brand called "TRUVIA" . The sweetener compound in Stevia, is stable up to over 500F(?). so it can be used in baking and cooking. SPLENDA, is another. But it is not nature made but it is better than other synthetic calorie free sweeteners.

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

Thanks, I use alot of Splenda, except in my jellies/jams. I wasn't sure if I could get the 'gooeyness' that pecan pie needs from it.

• readinglady
    10 years ago

I think the most likely option is a low-sugar pie rather than no-sugar. I notice even the Splenda recipes rely on corn syrup, so clearly there are limits (i.e. the gooey factor).

How do you feel about agave nectar? There's a recipe on the food network that uses agave. I noticed one reviewer, who is also diabetic, further modified the recipe with the Splenda-brown sugar blend and then browned the butter to up the flavor.

You might look at something like that as a possible direction to go. If you did it as tarts or pecan tassies, that would further reduce through management of serving sizes.

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: Agave Nectar Pecan Pie

• ekgrows
    10 years ago

I - like Dave - like a chocolate pecan pie. Actually, I like any pecan pie, but it is quite special with chocolate. I also made a maple pecan pie a few times with maple syrup - was quite yummy as well. But I have a bad habit of trying all sorts of different recipes, and not saving / noting them. Makes repeating the dish kind of difficult when I don't know what recipe I used, or where it might have come from....

• seysonn
    10 years ago

Syrup in Pastry:
    Syrup, is what gives the pie/pastry that stickiness. It is not just a sweetener. I like dark thick kind. Also, I add some molasses, for that smoked/burned flavor.

• thatcompostguy
    10 years ago

Could use Lyle's Golden Syrup. It's cane based, not corn based. Add some real maple syrup for flavor. Mmmm....

• Krista86
    10 years ago

To seysonn:
    I'm not sure how safe maple syrup is for the more extreme types of diabetes, but my dad was just on metformin, and he could eat the maple syrup. I replace the vanilla and corn syrup with the real maple syrup, and it is pretty divine!

• Donna
    10 years ago

My sister gave me this recipe at Thanksgiving. It came from a church cookbook. I have always had trouble getting the filling to "set up" in pecan pies. Not this one. It was yummy. She says that you must make a scratch pie crust or the filling runs under the crust and you can't get the pie out of the plate. It's a very good pie and not as sweet as many I have had.

1 cup brown sugar
    1/2 cup white sugar
    1 T. flour
    2 eggs
    1 T. milk
    1 t. vanilla
    1/2 cup melted butter
    1 cup pecan halves

preheat oven to 375 (350 convection) degrees. Mix together sugars and flour. Beat in eggs, milk, vanilla, and melted butter. Fold in nuts. Bake till set.

• bdot_z9_ca
    10 years ago

Anyone tried xylitol in pecan pies? I use it for one pumpkin pie and one batch of cranberry chutney at Thanksgiving, for my MIL. It works well for those, and it is a 1 for 1 crystallized substance, so maybe??

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz