Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
foolyap

Pressure canners and induction stove tops?

foolyap
18 years ago

We have a smooth-top electric range, which is not an induction range. It seems not recommended to use a pressure canner on a smooth-top conventional range (I gather the prolonged heat can damage on some tops). I can do a boiling water bath on it using a stock pot, apparently, but not recommended to use a pressure canner.

I'm looking at buying a separate, counter-top, single burner portable unit for pressure canning. Either a coil or an induction unit.

I know the latter are more expensive. But I like the fact that there's less waste heat going into the kitchen; only the metal container is heated.

I also know that not all steel is magnetic, so not all metal pans work with an induction stove.

Has anyone here used a pressure canner with an induction stove top? If so, what brand was it?

Thanks in advance, --Steve

PS - No, gas is not an option for cooking here, in case anyone wants to suggest that.

Comments (12)

• smokey98042
    18 years ago

If you can find a pressure canner that is made from 18/10 stainless steel that will work just fine.

I have no idea where you can get such a canner.

• ksrogers
    18 years ago

Was just going to say the same thing as aluminium is the primary material for most pressure cookers or canners. Aluminium pans will not work on induction stoves. Another choice for indoors may be a propane buener. The tank can be outdoors and have a long hose going inside. Leave a window open a crack, or have your kitchen exhaust fan going and you should have a very rapid heating using any kind of pan. Clad bottom pans may have problems too, as copper doesn't work well with induction either.

• mellyofthesouth
    18 years ago

You might want to consider a presto canner. They have a smaller disk on the bottom that lets you use it on a glass stove.

• antiqueace
    18 years ago

NO! Not all stainless 18/10 is induction ready.That is a huge error. In fact most USA cookware is not appropriate for an induction cooktop. If a magnet sticks to the bottom of the cookware it will work on a induction stove. I do not know of an induction compatible pressure canner available in the USA. I am not saying it does not. The pressure canners I am familiar with are aluminum.I do have a pressure cooker that can be used on induction it is German made. I am certain there are induction pressure canners in Europe. I have recently ordered a induction cooktop and will be in the market for a pressure canner. Someone mentioned copper doesn't work well on a induction cooktop. Copper does not work at all on a induction cooktop.I will let you know if I come up with a induction pressure canner. Ebay has induction cookware at restaurant supply stores be sure the listing specifically mentions "induction compatible" or "induction ready". Restaurant supply stores have it because many restaurants have induction hobs. Some of the HSN ultrex brand cookware is induction ready, but again be sure to ask. Some of the All Clad cookware is induction. Again, not all check at their website. Induction cooktops are making big news these days particularly since Sears just came out with one. The high end manufacturers have them but they are still quite expensive. I predict induction cooktops will almost replace conventional electric cooktops within 5 years. Prices are already beginning to fall. The premier Diva de Provence from Canada has come down in price. See their website for info on induction divadeprovenceinduction.com Also there is excellent information elsewhere at this site. I am new to this and can't direst you but it is there if you search.Cheers, Antiqueace

• beaverlake
    18 years ago

Perhaps you can find an answer at this web site. It's quite comprehensive. You might also try contacting some of the manufacturers. CookTek, for one, has a "line" of induction cookware. Finally - if one layer of a clad-bottom pan is copper, you get the benefit of copper heat distribution (just like aluminum sandwich).

Here is a link that might be useful: The Induction Site

• partphyll
    18 years ago

I can't find the forums which started with "induction cooktops -- wave of the future". Want to add the information that I've found someone who can repair them -- including my 1980's Sears model. Contact jhampton@cgiltd.com for more information

Partphyll

• partphyll
    18 years ago

P.S. As to cookware, I invested about $50.00 in Ikea pots and pans. They make a little clicking noise, but work great. I also have two thrift store cast iron pans which I use on a Silpat pad -- prevents scratching the cooktop.

• txdianimal
    17 years ago

Has anyone bought & used the Kenmore Induction Cooktop? If so, how is it working? Is it hard to find pans that work on it? Do the touch pad controls work ok-I read article somewhere (consumer reports??) that there was trouble/problems using the controls?? What about cleaning the top-does it scratch easy? Does it cook as great as advertised?

Here is a link that might be useful: Kenmore Induction Cooktop

• alanrockwood
    17 years ago

Fagor has a 10 qt unit described as a pressure cooker/canner. It works on induction cooktops. It is, however, a little on the small side, only holding 4 quart-size canning jars. Fagor's smaller pressure cookers also work on induction, but they are not for canning.

• wyntermarie
    17 years ago

Costco has the Fagor 6 quart express pressure canners for 49.99 in the Portland area! Says right on the cooker it is induction compatable.

• weedmeister
    16 years ago

This may not be the place, but I noticed at BB&B the other day that Circulon has come out with a line of induction cookware. I bought some non-stick frypans since they were cheaper than the AllClad.

• zeuspaul
    16 years ago

I just bought a Cadco 1500 watt single burner (pricey $125+/-) as a fifth burner for a pressure canner. My cooktop is four burner propane. It gets too crowded with all the large stock pots boiling down the tomato sauce in the canning process. The wife gets a little upset when she wants to cook dinner at the same time!!

I haven't used it for the canner yet. However it came in useful for the tomato sauce. I have to stir constantly with propane when the sauce starts to thicken. This burner with a cast iron surface gives a very even heat. I can leave the sauce without stirring while eating dinner.

I use a 20 qrt stainless pot on it. It doesn't seem like there is very much waste heat to me.

I am sure it will work with the pressure canner. It will be slower getting up to speed.

I may get one more! This thing will also work well as a warmer while entertaining.

Zeuspaul