Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kriswrite

Can I can this?

kriswrite
10 years ago

I have a lot of tomatoes in my freezer, so I thought I'd try canning catsup. Never canned it before. I like this recipe, and I've compared it to those at Ball and NCHFP. I don't see any reason I can't can it, but I thought I'd check among you to see what YOU think. http://www.itsnoteasyeatinggreen.com/2012/09/05/small-batch-ketchup/

Here is a link that might be useful: Small Batch Catsup

Comments (9)

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

Looks to me like the density might be a question. They are saying that the catsup is very thick when done.

Why don't you use one of the recipes on the NCHFP website. If they are too big, I would reduce everything equally.

My own personal opinion. I have tried any catsup recipe YET.

• readinglady
    10 years ago

I really wish blogs would source their recipes (with any changes they made) so that readers could better assess. But I do notice the poster said refrigerate.

Personally I wouldn't be concerned. That's a lot of vinegar for that amount of product. If density is a concern use the processing time for tomato paste.

Carol

• kriswrite
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks! It's not so much that I want a small batch. I just like the ingredients in this recipe.

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

I just like the ingredients in this recipe.

What ingredients appeal to you? They are just the standard ingredients for most all catsup recipes. Only thing that varies is the amount made.

Dave

• kriswrite
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Dave, so then there's no problem :) The ingredients do vary somewhat (not a whole lot) from the Ball and NCHFP's.

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Sorry, my question was just since there are tested and approved canning recipes using the same ingredients why not use them rather than an unknown from a blog? Even if that blog recipe is 'probably' ok,

The amount of vinegar "depending on ripeness" is iffy and it isn't a canning recipe, it is made for fresh use.

All have the same ingredients or the option of using them - tomatoes, pepper, chopped onion, vinegar, sugar, garlic, cloves, cinnamon, celery seed, dry mustard, and salt.

Sugar can always be brown or white, dried spices are always optional, vinegar is vinegar as long at it is 5%, peppers can be hot or sweet, onions are onions. *shrugs*

Your choice.

Dave

• seysonn
    10 years ago

Lets see. Here is the recipe'

3 pounds tomatoes, about 10 medium
    1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
    1 onion, chopped
    between 3/4 �" 1 cup cider vinegar (depending on ripeness of tomatoes)
    1/2 cup brown sugar
    1 clove garlic
    1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
    1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
    1/2 teaspoon celery seed
    1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
    1 teaspoon salt

What is about this recipe to cause an alarm ?
    Other than 3 lbs of tomato it has just one onion and one red bell pepper(plus some dry spices). To compensate for non tomato solids, it call for one cup of vinegar to acidify it. The whole finished thin is just 3 cups. Too much acid in there. One cup in 3 cups finish product. Even IF the tomato had ZERO acidity(pH =7), that cup of vinegar would have been more than enough to lower the pH way under 3(4.7 being max).

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

No one said there was anything to "cause an alarm".

The only issues raised were possible density, source, and that it is a fresh use not a canning recipe.

Dave

• seysonn
    10 years ago

I though the OP wanted to "CAN" it as the title said :
    "Can I can this ?"

Sponsored
Capital City Construction & Remodeling
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living