Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
2ajsmama

Does this look right to you?

2ajsmama
9 years ago

Found this recipe on SB Canning and it's supposedly (adapted so I don't know what the changes are) from BH&G Canning book but I just don't know - seems like a lot of low-acid stuff and it's processed for same amount of time (BWB) as plain tomato sauce.

BH&G may not have food scientists to check their recipes for canning safety, but isn't SB site run by an MFP? I thought I read that here but I can't find anything on the site or FB page about credentials.

Here is a link that might be useful: Roasted Garlic Pasta Sauce

Comments (2)

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

No it doesn't. It is almost the NCHFP Spaghetti Sauce without Meat recipe plus a bit of vinegar and the standard lemon juice) and that requires pressure canning, not BWB canning.

I don't see how 1 T of balsamic vinegar and 1 T of lemon juice can off-set the garlic, peppers, and all those fresh herbs.

Dave

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yeah, I looked at the Spaghetti Sauce recipe and this doesn't use as many tomatoes, yields 2/3 the amount, uses more low-acid ingredients (well, maybe, I don't know how to trade off the mushrooms vs the garlic) so I don't even know if the NCHFP pressure canning process is appropriate here. No way this could be BWB, I said to myself. Should I look for a way to contact the site admin? I'm not sure if they took it right from BH&G, maybe there was a mixup with another recipe and BH&G had a PC time? If not, then SB may want to take it off their site.

I'm disappointed b/c after malna (?) said that the owner of the site was a MFP (on green tomato pasta sauce thread I think it was) I figured I'd found a good safe site for recipes, I even bookmarked some, copied some. I haven't tried any yet though.