Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
xcaret_gw

can piclkles be caned without heat ?

xcaret
10 years ago

I'm wondering about pickles and beets and several other vegies . Last nite I caned several jars of beets, I boiled them them as it said to do,and put them in cold water and slide the skins off,( some skins didn't come off) Then took a jar out of the big tub of hot water and filed each jar and returned to the boiling water. I did each jar one at a time,so they would be hot still when I added the now a bit cooler beets. I was wondering about the beets cooling, and if it would have negative results.
So today when I found a recipe for pickeling cucumbers, It just says to mix the vinigar and water ,and boil it ,then take the cucs and fill each jar then pour the boiling water over them ,and place in the canner . Is this ok to put them intio the jars while they are still at room temperature?
I'm new at this and other than these two vegies I have only made jam,and marmalade which goes into the jars hot.
Is the heat from the boiling water in the caner enough to sterilize the cucs? It seems like it must be, but I notice the beets and cucs too, have lots of vinigar in the jars which would inhibit bacteria. I think I need caning 101.if there is such a site.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner