Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeanwedding

which of yall got the pineapples for $1 and?

saved the cores and pineapple skins and did something with them?>>..

Maybe made pectin?

It was not too long ago.

I got four now Im ready to can and besides composting the leftover?

Thanks

Jean

Comments (9)

• pixie_lou
    12 years ago

I didn't get my pineapples for $1, but recently when I canned pineapple, I saved the cores and skins and made pineapple syrup.

Is pineapple naturally high in pectin? It doesn't appear on any of my pectin charts.

• digdirt2
    12 years ago

Don't know where anyone could get them at that price. Not around here for sure. But since grocery store chains are regional, what is available at your store wouldn't be available in other parts of the country.

Far as I know you can't make pectin from pineapple. We can and dry pineapple when available but the rind and core go to the compost.

Dave

• happyday
    12 years ago

I used to buy big 1 dollar pineapples at a store in Tucson. They also sold 50 cent mangoes that were nearly as big as the pineapples.

• wally_1936
    12 years ago

Pineapple Vinegar

Makes about 1 1/2 quarts
    Ingredients

Peelings and trimmings of 1 pineapple, chopped
    Piloncillo or dark brown sugar -- 3/4 cup
    Water -- 1 1/2 quarts

Method

Clean a large glass container with hot soapy water and rinse it out well. Add the pineapple trimmings, piloncillo or brown sugar and water and stir with a clean spoon to dissolve the sugar.
    Cover the container with plastic wrap and a lid and set in a warm, dark place for about 4 to 6 weeks. The liquid will turn murky and brown at first. But as time passes, any solids will settle out and the liquid will clear.
    Once the liquid has cleared, strain the solids out of the vinegar by pouring it through several layers of cheesecloth or through a coffee filter. Store in a clean bottle away from light and in a cool place.

Variations

You can use the entire pineapple, including the fruit, if you like, but using just the trimmings works fine.

Notes

After the vinegar is strained and stored, it may eventually develop a gelatinous mass that either sits at the bottom or floats at the top. This is called the "mother" of the vinegar (madre de vinagre), and it is harmless. If you start a new batch of vinegar, make sure to include some of the "mother" from the old batch to keep help it develop.

• jeanwedding. zone 6
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hey Wally- 1936
    That sounds like the YOUTUBE "Zymaway" , an enzyme cleaner homemade cleaner receipe
    I will try both . Pixie Lous, too
    Thanks all
    jean

• pixie_lou
    12 years ago

what do you do with pineapple vinegar?

• teauteau
    12 years ago

Every once in a while Aldi's as pineapples for 99c each. I bought several boxes last year and last June they ran another sale at 99c and I bought a box, peeled and cored and froze the meat. I like to make jams and jellies, but was concentrating on summer fruit at the time.

• happyday
    12 years ago

Teauteau, does freezing do anything to change the taste or texture of pineapple?

• teauteau
    12 years ago

Happyday,

Yes, freezing does change the texture slightly, as freezing does with a lot of different things. Because I use my frozen pineapple for making jams and jellies, texture is not an issue for me because it is all getting cooked down anyway. The taste is pretty much the same to me. I don't notice that much of a taste difference but like I said, I'm cooking mine. I hope this helps.