Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cannond_gw

Clementines

cannond
11 years ago

Does anyone know the ph of clementines? I'd like to can some.

Deborah

Comments (5)

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

Not exactly but they are acidic so BWB canning is all the is needed if that is what you are asking. Canned just like any other citric acid fruit.

However, you may want to read the article linked below about the bitterness they develop during shelf storage. It is apparently even more bitter than canning oranges per NCHFP (http://nchfp.uga.edu/how/can_02/grapefruit_orange.html).

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Canning Clementines

• cannond
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It's true; they do become bitter, rather like English marmalade, which is why we like them.

Last year I canned some in a syrup of orange and lemon juice plus sugar. I wasn't worried since the introduction of both citrus juices raised the ph. This year, however, I wanted to try a new recipe that called for canning them in caramel syrup (caramelized sugar plus water). No additional acid. I couldn't find anything with the ph, so I was concerned, especially since I read that mandarin oranges are high ph.

IâÂÂm not certain what the difference is between mandarin and clementines, but I thought IâÂÂd better find out.

Deborah

• readinglady
    11 years ago

I found an academic journal which evaluated the nutritional qualities of 7 varieties of mandarin and clementine. The acidity ranged from a high of 3.68 to a low of 3.91. Nothing to worry about.

Carol

• cannond
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Bless you, Carol. I bought two cases on sale for $5.27 each. Having put the cart before the horse, I was fretting.

Deborah

• jerri FABINA
    3 years ago

Thank you Carol. I just canned Clementine jam and forgot to put the lemon juice in it. I have looked everywhere for an answer to whether I have to redo the canning. You just answered my dilemma.