Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeanwedding

anyone have any more pumpkin recipes?

Got my Bgb Ball 400 page book other day ..... wow

I canned 9 pts. other day of cubed pumpkin. and a batch of half pints of the Ball recipe for Pumpkin compote... Autumn Glory.... all from one pumpkin.

I bought 4 from Aldi $1.79 pineapple. Have three left now

I have about 12 pumpkins left. I am about out of pint jars.... will use the quarts I have left.....

Does anyone have any more canning recipes for pumpkin???? I am not really fond of pineapple... so much....

Last year I just cooked pumpkin with apple and ate. Can only eat so much myself.

Freezers are full.....

Need more suggestions for canning with>>>

Thanks all

jean

Comments (10)

• pixie_lou
    12 years ago

Do you have a pressure canner? I can pumpkin soup.

I sweat the cubed pumpkin with some onions and either apple or pear and some seasoning. Fill my jars half full then top off with chicken broth. When I open the jars, I drain off the broth (save the broth for making rice or other stuff), add some cream, and then puree with my immersion blender. Easy peasy pumpkin bisque.

Here is a link that might be useful: NCHFP Soups

• happyday
    12 years ago

Pumpkin bread recipe please, with or without cornmeal for pumpkin cornbread. Can you mix pumpkin with corn?

• girlgroupgirl
    12 years ago

Pumpkin Gooey Cake (gluten free and if you wish, vegan)
    Crust:

1/4 c. melted butter OR coconut oil or vegan margarine
    2 oz cream cheese softened (or silky tofu)
    2 c. almond flour (Trader Joe's sells this cheap)
    1 teaspoon gluten free vanilla extract (trader joes has a vanilla in a glycerine base)
    1/8 t. salt
    1/2 c. sugar (you could use several drops of stevia if need be)

1 large organic egg or the equivalent of egg replacer, or a tablespoon of flax seed meal mixed with two tablespoons of warm water.
    1/2 t. aluminum and gluten free baking powder (Rumford brand)
    1/2 t. cinnamon

mix the butter and cream cheese together and blend it until it is nice and smooth, add the liquid ingredients and then add the dry. Spread in an 8x8 inch greased pan (lined with parchment makes it much easier to get out and cut into squares). Bake 15 mins at 350 and cool.

Filling:
    6 oz. cream cheese (or 6 oz of the silky tofu)
    1 stick (1/2c.) softened butter, coconut oil or vegan margarine
    1 15 oz can of pumpkin puree
    3 eggs or make the equivalent of 3 eggs with egg replacer (flax doesn't look as pretty for the filling)
    1 teaspoon vanilla (as above)
    1/2 c. sugar, 1/3 c. honey, or several drops of stevia
    (NuNaturals is the best, non-bitter Stevia)
    11/2t. cinnamon
    1 t. nutmeg
    1/4 t. ginger
    blend everything together with beaters until smooth and fluffy. Bag the bowl a few times to get rid of all air bubbles. Layer this delicious filling on top of the almond cake crust and bake 55-60 mins (it will be jiggly, this is good) at 350. MMMMMM, so good and gooey. Plus it is not too sweet. Just enough!

• jeanwedding. zone 6
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yes I have a pressure canner......... did some quarts last nite in my ALL AM. canner.
    thanks you all.
    I did the Autumn glory pumpkin compote but looking for other WBath canner or even some pressure canning. Something other than pineapple in,too.
    But what looking for is receipes canning for my 10 or more remaining pumpkins..
    Thanks
    jean

• jeanwedding. zone 6
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank-you-for-the-delicious-receipe.I-have-made-4-of-the-cheesecakes" I-call-them---
    -I-have-two-crusts-for-two-more-in-the-oven-right-now....Ihave-left-out-the-sugar-in-the-last-two--Crusts-that-is-and-they-were-fine..._-of-course-use-my-real-pumpkins-just-mashed-and-drained.So-prob-use-more-pumpkin-that-called-for..But-oh,so-delicious.Thanks--grpupgir-group....
    Happy-New-Years-to-all
    Jean

• mommymammal
    12 years ago

The nice thing about whole, unblemished pumpkins is that they keep for many,many months and don't all need to be cooked or canned at once.

• eahamel
    12 years ago

I'm pretty new to preserving food (other than dehydrating and freezing), and have a large winter squash that needs canning. I looked up an autumn glory recipe, and it says to process with boiling water bath for 25 minutes. Isn't this low acid? Why is BYB okay? It's my understanding that low acid foods need to be canned. I'm still learning and need this explained, please!

• misskimmie
    12 years ago

I like to can pint sized jars of pumpkin. When drained, thats about a cup, just right for a big batch of PUMPKIN DOUGHNUTS ! I make some every other weekend in the cold weather seasons. With a houseful of teens and young adults, they go quickly.

Here is a link that might be useful: Little Homestead in the Village

• pixie_lou
    12 years ago

eahamel - can you post a link to the recipe?

There are lots of blog recipes out there that point blank are not safe. Knowing the source of the recipe is the first step in assuring it's safety.

Is this some type of chutney? I'm guessing that the pumpkin has been acidified somehow, and is a minimal ingredient in the recipe. In which case, it could be safe for BWB canning. But we would need to see the recipe and the source to help you out.

• eahamel
    12 years ago

I started another thread with this question.