Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Freezing Turkey

Posted by sandhill_farms 10 NV (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 28, 10 at 13:37

I'm sure this has been asked before but here it is again, I hope you all don't mind.

In the past I've tried freezing slices and pieces of turkey by sealing them in double freezer bags. When I went to use them the taste and texture was horrible.

What is the proper way to freeze turkey so that it tastes fresh when you go to thaw it out and use it? Would covering the slices in water and then freezing it work?

Thanks so much for your help.

Greg
Southern Nevada

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Freezing Turkey

(grin) I dip mine in enchilada sauce, wrap it in a corn tortilla with some jack cheese and roasted anaheim pepper and freeze it that way.

o

That sounds great OWS but I'd need a pepper with a little more horsepower than an Anaheim. I do Love Mexican food though.

Perhaps others have some more thoughts on this?

Greg
Southern Nevada

o

Greg,

I'm a big fan of coating meats (especially fish) with several layers of ice before vac sealing. Lay the pieces of meat single layer on a sheet pan in the freezer & freeze solid. Then knock ea one loose and turn over. Spray with water, let freeze, turn piece over and repeat spraying as many coats as you think necessary. (I do at least two coats)

Especially helpful when freezing odd shapes. Be sure and spray water into the cavities a couple of times. The Saran Wrap is also useful between slices if you want to stack something. Then just water coat the entire stack rather than ea slice.

jt

o

Thank you jt.

Greg

o

Greg,

I've found those freezer bags just *don't* keep air out no matter WHAT kind of fancy ziploc strip they have, or HOW many of them one uses, or how assiduously one sucks the air out with a straw before sealing. Within a few days or weeks air has leaked in, and meats, especially smaller portions, just don't keep all that well over the long term. (A few weeks = fine; a few months --- not so much.)

It's for meat that I finally broke down and bought a Foodsaver vacuum sealer this year; I didn't find the deterioration in quality nearly as much for vegetables and baked goods, though there was some.

But if you don't have one, I have found a better bet than freezer bags is good-quality plastic wrap and THEN a layer of aluminum foil.

I've never tried jt's spraying trick but it sounds clever --- worth doing before the Saran.

Good luck! Happy Thanksgiving!

Z

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here