Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pickled potato recipe?

Posted by wertach 7 SC (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 11, 11 at 13:40

When I was in Colombia SA a few years back I ate some pickled potatoes at a bar/restaurant. They had them sitting on the bar for appetizers while you were drinking or waiting for your table. Toothpicks to stab them and a sign in Spanish, DO NOT REUSE YOUR TOOTHPICK GET ANOTHER ONE! Translated by an English speaking Colombian sitting next to me.

I noticed that when they refilled the bowls they poured them out of what looked like a regular canning jar, so I'm thinking homemade.

They looked like small, about 1 inch, red and blue potatoes cut in quarters. They were kind of sweet/sour/salty, crispy but not raw. I could taste a little dill and garlic. Very tasty!

Anyone have a recipe? I've Googled with no luck.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pickled potato recipe?

I googled and found this article.
It includes a link to Potatoes in Vinigarette.
You could always omit the carrots and onions, but I think they'd add beautiful color and flavor.

This is NOT a canning recipe, but to be kept refrigerated.

Sounds good, I may have to try it!! I love most everything pickled.

Deanna

Here is a link that might be useful: Pickled potatoes

o

When I first read the header, it sounded unappealing, but now that Deanna's posted that recipe, I have to admit it's tempting. Especially for a pickle hound like me.

Thanks for sharing and also for exposing me to a new concept in pickling. I imagine this would be very colorful and pretty with a mixture of heirloom potatoes.

Carol

o

Thanks Deanna, I'll give it a try.

o

well are there any we can can, safely?
cause I am always finding produce bargains
Thanks
jean

o

I can't imagine the texture would be good after canning and who knows what the processing time would be.

This doesn't sound like it's really "pickled" as a preservation method, but marinated for flavor.

Big difference!

Another one of those "not everything can be canned" recipes.

Deanna

o

Oh, just thought of canned German potato salad. "Read" makes one......That like "pickled".....
anyone tried canning theirn own?
Thanks
Jean

o

Deanna, I made the recipe that you linked to. It is very good, but not the same thing I ate in Colombia.

I swung a deal with a friend that lives there this weekend. He wants some old computer parts that I have laying around, I am giving them to him, he was going to pay shipping.

I told him if he goes to that bar/restaurant and gets me the recipe I will send him the parts for free, no shipping costs. It is about a 20 mile trip for him, so he will spend more on gas than the shipping costs. But I think he will enjoy the challenge, they will probably not give up the recipe easily!

o

Ooohh...the plot thickens!
Be sure to let us know how this turns out.

And, of course, if you DO get the recipe, I'd love to see it.

:)

Deanna

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here