Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_20024570

All-American No.7 Canner

User
9 years ago

I have an old All-American Canner. Is there a way to determine the age? [I'd just like to know.]
I want to use it this year.
1] The gauge looks bent over, but I do not think it is bent. I am sure the brass fitting has a factory 45 degree bend in it. It sure makes the gauge easier to read.
2] What about the pressure relief valve? Will I be taking a big gamble to use it?
3] What is the little brass fitting in front (or behind) the handle? Is it replaceable?
4] Can I get instructions that will describe how the things above work.
5] Where is the least expensive and best place to buy parts for it?
6] How do I know it the gauge and/or pressure relief are correct? Do they need to be calibrated individually and/or to each other?

Thanks for any help.
Mule

Comments (8)

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have been searching and found the answers to most of my questions.
    I found this post;
    http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/harvest/msg0112594811414.html

Mule

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

A new question. What about the over pressure relief valve? What is shown in the All-American parts listing is completely different from mine. [If mine is the brass fitting in front of handle]
    If so what is the solution? I am sure the relief valve is rubber and old & brittle.

Mule

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Concerning the "over pressure valve" or "relief valve".
    I called;

http://www.allamericancanner.com/allamericanpressurecannerparts.htm

The lady there said that if I could not see light through the over pressure plug that is presently on my lid, use it. If I see light replace it with the toggle steam vent that I removed to install the vent pipe and weight system.

No need to try to fit the later model over pressure plug to the old lid.

Mule

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It seems that I am simply posting back & forth to myself, but, maybe someone will read this and be able to use some of what I share.

Mule

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

Sorry no one got back to your sooner but it sounds as if you got most of your answers, right?

FWIIW many still use the canner in your picture just as it is - petcock and all. Not ideal - converting it to the weight is much better unless you want to get your gauge checked and recalibrated every year - but still it is usable.

If you decide you want to replace the over-pressure relief valve later on the newer model can be made to work by using an over-pressure plug from Presto. But this only necessary if you are processing foods at or above 15 lbs.

Parts are available from Goodmans.net and Pressure Cooker Outlet

Hope this helps. If need more info let me know.

Dave

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, Dave, for the response. That link has a bunch of good information, especially for an old beginner.

If I remove the screw-in A-A over-pressure plug, will the Presto over-pressure plug fit in that hole?

Isn't the original vent system supposed to serve as an over-pressure plug as well as a vent?

I would like to put this cooker/canner on heat, to see if it will build pressure. Is it okay to just add two or three inches of water to it and start the process?

Mule

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

Hi Mule - one of the Presto plugs - have to look up which model number - works. But honestly I'd just leave it as is. Yes the petcock also serves as an over pressure plug but it has a lower POP limit than the normal over-pressure plu. Long as the pot is monitored and you are processing at less than 15 pounds there is no real concern.

For a trial run - 3 inches of water with a splash of vinegar in it and a couple of jars filled with colored water (with lids) in it. Run for 30 mins. and then follow the steps for cool down. Water in the pot when opened should still be clear. If not you had some siphoning and that is usually caused by too extreme heat adjustment.

Read through the step by step how-to below for details.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: NCHFP - How to use a pressure canner

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, again, Dave. The link is very useful. When I get all of this sifered out, I'll have to start trying to get my Bride interested in canning. She has always said she was afraid of a pressure canner.

Mule