Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wertach2

Why do many people here recommend throwing away the jars?

Over the years I've read posts from people saying things weren't processed correctly, spoiled ETC. And folks say do not open the jar or reuse it. Throw it all away.

I would think that the glass would be OK if sterilized in boiling water. Am I missing something here?

I have old canning jars that my parents used and I'm sure some stuff spoiled in them. After Dad died I found some stuff that my Mom had canned 15 years earlier! Water bath I'm sure. I dumped them, put them in the dishwasher, boiled them and reused.

Sorry if it's a dumb question, just curious.

Comments (6)

• readinglady
    12 years ago

I don't think it has to do with the jars per se. It has to do with the risk of splattering or otherwise contaminating kitchen surfaces or acquiring infection via something like a superficial cut or wound.

I'm referring only to the prospect of botulism as other forms of ordinary spoilage present no similar risk and what you did with those jars is just fine.

So for instance, my grandfather's basement had shelves of old canned goods like grape juice, jams, peaches and pears. Even if they all had spoiled it's just messy to deal with but not dangerous, as they're all acid foods.

Carol

• digdirt2
    12 years ago

Agree. NCHFPs recommendation to dispose of the entire jar unopened is to prevent further contamination or risk of exposure. As Carol said the risk varies depending on the contents of the jar.

Dave

• wertach zone 7-B SC
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Most of Moms stuff was green beans and tomatoes. Still sealed, had to pry off the lids. But she did always add some vinegar, not sure how much. Probably about a cup per quart.

I did put on some rubber gloves and opened them outside. The neighbors dogs ate them overnight. I still see the dogs often.Safe for dog consumption!

• readinglady
    12 years ago

Sealing is not an indicator of safety as far as botulism is concerned, as it is indiscernable to sight or smell and can easily exist in a sealed container.

However, pickled green beans or acidified tomatoes would fall into the lower-risk category.

Carol

• digdirt2
    12 years ago

Yes, pickles and most fruits since they are very acidic by nature wouldn't concern me as much. But any meats or any vegetables (and even tomatoes depending on how they were canned) have the potential for being extremely hazardous.

Of course you could always don a hazmat suit. :)

Dave

• dellr
    9 years ago

[I have old canning jars that my parents used and I'm sure some stuff spoiled in them. After Dad died I found some stuff that my Mom had canned 15 years earlier! Water bath I'm sure. I dumped them, put them in the dishwasher, boiled them and reused. ]

first off, you didn't have to dump the old stuff simply because of the age. if there were some OTHER reasons such as the standard reasons one would throw away spoiled canned foods then feel free but they have dug up foods that have been canned over 150 years old and tests confirmed they were as fresh and edible as the day they were canned. Meat was left out hanging in antarctica for 100 years and was still edible. Honey was dug up that was over 5000 years old and was as fresh as today's honey.

just because of the age, you don't have to throw it away. if you can it properly then you can almost keep it forever.

and what bugs me the most is the "sell by date" on a box of salt. the salt you are using has been in existence for over 4 billion years and they are trying to fool you into thinking that it only lasts a couple years before going bad? what about the rest of the 4 billion years?

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County