Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mixing canning times?

Posted by HungryGuy none (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 25, 12 at 14:02

Would it be ok to mix canning times, by going with the longest time for the lot? Given the psi was the same, if one recipe called for 45 minutes at 10 psi, and another called for 1 1/2 hours at 10 psi, could I can some jars of each by going 1 1/2 hours? Would the longer time hurt a food requiring a shorter time, or is that time just a minimum?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mixing canning times?

No safety issues by using the longest processing times - which is what you'd have to do - but there can be some quality effects depending on the food involved and how much difference in the times used. For that reason - quality - it is best to avoid mixing them or to mix only the foods where the processing times are almost the same.

For example, carrots call for 25 mins. for pints but if you mixed jars of carrots with pint jars of meat and did the 90 mins. required for meats the carrots would be pure mush. But if you mixed jars of carrots with jars of green beans (20 mins.) that extra 5 mins would not be a problem.

45 mins. vs. 90 mins. is too much difference IMO and you'll pay for it with poor quality of the one food.

Dave

o
RE: Mixing canning times?

Thank you for the response! I am glad you pointed out the quality aspect. That is truly the reason I am preserving my own food.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here