Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
happyday_gw

Will a Nesco roaster burn the countertop

happyday
12 years ago

I have a Nesco roaster and I'm afraid to use it to roast the turkey because I read that the outside gets hot, so what if it burns the countertop underneath it?

Comments (9)

• happyday
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Also can you put other stuff in there around the side of the turkey like potatoes, carrots, onions? Do you put them in for the last hour only?

• digdirt2
    12 years ago

Depends on the model but most have feet that suspend them over the counter - at least mine does. And no it doesn't burn the counter. It works just like a crockpot does for counter-top cooking. We do one of the turkeys in it every year with no problems.

As for adding other ingredients - yes you can if there is room and you would add them just like you would if you were using the regular oven. Timing is the same.

Dave

PS: you might find more discussions about using them over on the Cooking forums here.

• denninmi
    12 years ago

I have the same concerns. The outside becomes hot, but not dangerously hot. Just to be on the safe side, I went and bought myself some really cheap 12 inch ceramic tiles at Home Depot. I put those down on my countertops and tables whenever I use an appliance like the electric roaster or my portable griddle -- that way, I know that it can't scorch the surface underneath. 6 tiles that were on clearance for 59 cents each was a cheap way to go to ensure I don't melt the ugly formica from the 1970s (hey, maybe that wouldn't be such a bad idea -- if the formica melts, I'll have to redo the kitchen!).

• macybaby
    12 years ago

I use mine a lot, and don't find it gets hot enough on the outside to catch something on fire - It is HOT and will melt some plastic, but most wood needs to get above 500 deg to ignite.

I normally have mine on the tile floor so it's not an issue. I've used it on carpet on the floor of my office at work, and not noticed any heat after two hours (potluck day). I now have stone countertops so heat is not an issue. Sometimes I put it on a metal rolling cart. Sometimes I have it in the greenhouse and the lip ends up touching OSB plywood on the walls, and I'll have it at 350 for 2-3 hours that way. Never noticed the wall getting hot. Did I say I use mine a lot?

Mine is Nesco, so I can't say about other brands

• bcskye
    12 years ago

I have a large heat resistent glass-like cutting board that I always put under my crockpots and I would use it. I think the ceramic tiles would be great.

• happyday
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the tips. I was going to build a wood frame to hold it up off the counter or floor, even though it does have rubber tipped feet. Or I was going to set it on the stovetop, but then I can't use the burners. I like the tile idea and will look for that next time at the store.

• John__ShowMe__USA
    12 years ago

Sam's Clubs sells heavy duty aluminum sheet pans that I turn upside down and place all my portable gas and electric burners on. Great for hot pans and baking too. My GE elec roaster fits on one nicely. 2 for $11. (I own 6 of them) They also have a larger size that I have not tried.

Here is a link that might be useful: Heavy duty sheet pan

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    12 years ago

John, I looked for that set last time in Costco, I was finally ready for two more 17x11....they didn't have them. I checked at a kitchen goods shop and they were more than $20 each. I'm hoping Costco gets them back...