Houzz Logo Print
mrslee2002

Help with canned peaches!

mrslee2002
10 years ago

Hello!
This is my first post here. :)
I have a canning question...
This summer I canned my peaches differently than I have in the past.
I found the instructions online and now I'm a little afraid of using the peaches.
The method was to cold pack the peaches and sugar in the jar, pour In water and then process in a water bath. I processed them for 10 minutes. After the 10 minutes, not all of the sugar was dissolved...I just chalked it up to this new method.
Now I'm having second thoughts. I have a lot of peaches that I processed this way so I would love to be able to use them but of course I'm terrified of poisoning my family.
Help!! :)
Thanks,
Sherri

Comments (7)

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Well you have learned a valuable lesson for what that is worth. There is lots of bad info out there on the web and only approved sources should be used when canning.

The method aside for a moment they are very UNDER-processed as the BWB processing for raw packed peaches is 25 mins for pints and 30 mins for quarts.

I guess they could be used if first boiled for 10 mins before eating them as that would destroy any toxins that might have developed or bacterial/mold growth. Or I suppose they could be used in any well-cooked recipe.

Otherwise their safety is debatable IMO. So much air was left in the fruit and in the jar and proper temperatures was never reached in the fruit - 10 min would be enough for the jar and the water to get hot not the fruit itself. Granted peaches are an acidic fruit but they were less than 1/2 processed and have now set several months on the shelf.

Was the water at least boiling hot when added?

Personally I probably wouldn't use them but I tend to be conservative about canning safety and I don't count on "luck" getting me by. Others will have different opinions but basically I think it will boil down to your choice whether to use them or not.

Sorry.

Dave

• mrslee2002
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The water was boiling. I think my gut is right...I will toss them!
    The un-dissolved sugar should have stopped me in my tracks. :/
    At least I have a nice stash of frozen peaches.
    Thanks for your help!

• readinglady
    10 years ago

I agree it does come down to your choice, but I think any spoilage would be discernible as peaches are high-acid.

That means you might see mold or the peaches might ferment (i.e. visible bubbles and gas). Barring those, which you could identify, I don't see any problems to cause concern.

The big issue with such a short processing time is that the peaches won't keep on the shelf as long.

But barring the above, if they smell good and there are no visible signs of spoilage, I see no reason not to use them. You could definitely use them in baked goods, i.e. muffins or pound cake, stirred into cooked cereals, etc.

I know of no cases where anyone was "poisoned" by peaches.

Carol

• mrslee2002
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hmmmm....they look ok. A little browning but nothing abnormal. No bubbles or mold visible. No seeping liquid. You really think if they are bad there would be some other sign?

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    10 years ago

I haven't seen it either in canned fruits, but in a discussion of 'The Botulism Organism' (food-borne) by Colorado State.edu they say this -

"such fruits as figs, apricots, pears, peaches, applesauce, persimmons and mangoes also have been involved. In some cases inadequate processing permitted the growth of molds, yeasts or bacteria, which in turn raised the pH of the food sufficiently to permit the growth of C. botulinum, if present."

Here is a link that might be useful: ext.colostate.edu

• readinglady
    10 years ago

I stand corrected. Thank you for providing that.

Carol

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    10 years ago

Not quite a correction Carol, I still think if mold or yeasts began to grow, enough to change ph, it would likely be visible. Potentially bacteria would also cause a change in color of the fruit or the liquid, someone on the cooking forum a few weeks ago mentioned hazy looking areas in the liquid in underprocessed (open kettle canned) product....(and reported crampy tummy ache from sampling)

But with the syrup not being actually cooked and the sugar not incorporated, I wouldn't want to chance it myself, be confident in the appearance since the appearance would already be unfamiliar to me. Processing time of less than half the recommended timing is beyond my comfort level.