Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Too much lemon juice

Posted by breasley 7 (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 2, 08 at 15:15

How can I counter too much lemon juice in a recipe. I'm making spaghetti sauce and was considering canning it so I added lemon juice for acid but added too much. I have decided not to can it but it has a very strong lemon taste... so is there anything that counters the lemon flavor?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Too much lemon juice

Instead of lemon juice (ONLY bottled of course!) you could have used some granulated citric acid. These 'acidifers' would usually be meaured and added in each jar, prior to filling with the boiling tomatoes. Now that its in there already, you can try adding some dried garlic, oregano, and onion to 'push' that lemon taste away a little. If its only sour add a bit of sugar. Adding a little balsamic vinear, or red wine will help some, as will a small can of tomato paste. All of these together or seperatly are great additives for a spaghetti sauce.

o
RE: Too much lemon juice

Define too much. ;) A small amount can be countered by sugar or other seasonings as Ken suggested. And adding commercial canned tomato sauce/paste/spaghetti sauce will fix it if it was moderately overdosed.

But if you tripped and fell into the pan while carrying the open bottle of lemon juice and really let it have it ;), you can add all of the above as well as double the original recipe leaving out the added juice the second time. It just all depends on if the cost of the salvage job is worth it to you or not.

Good luck.

Dave

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here