Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mellyofthesouth

Ball Canning System - $$$

mellyofthesouth
10 years ago

Has anyone seen the new Ball Canning System? $299 seems like highway robbery.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.freshpreservingstore.com/ball-freshtech-automatic-home-canning-system/shop/613560/#itemDescription

Comments (17)

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

jam, jelly, fruit, pickle, tomato, sauce and salsa recipes

WOW! A $300 boiling water bath. And you can only use their enclosed recipes!! What an amazing invention.

Despite their claim of "due to high demand" I suspect they won't sell many of them. Surely there aren't that many suckers out there.

Dave

• seysonn
    10 years ago

They don't even say WHAT THE SIZE/CAPACITY IS.

IS IT WATER BATH OR PRESSURE ?

• gmgdvm
    10 years ago

It looks pretty small. And I am guessing BWB only, since the recipes they mention are things like pickles, jellies and salsa....

A friend of mine sent me a link to this. My comment was that it is a nice gadget, but my big BWB pot and a timer are a heck of a lot cheaper!

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

Sounds more like a steam canner/crock pot. I won't be buying one. For those people without a stove top, it might be handy.

• readinglady
    10 years ago

What amazes me is they say due to overwhelming demand it's backordered.

You could have an All-American 921 with money left over for jars, the Ball Blue Book, a lifter and a bunch of other little gizmos for that amount of money.

It looks a whole lot like an electric pressure cooker and I wonder if it's something in that vein re-purposed since they do mention processing faster. But a lot of those canners are 8 psi or in that neighborhood, so you couldn't use it for low-acid product.

If I happen to see one around I will take a look, but I'm guessing it's too rich for our local storekeepers' blood.

Carol

• calliope
    10 years ago

Here is a good explanation of what it is and how it works, by somebody who has seen it demonstrated and will be trying it out.

Here is a link that might be useful: Food in Jars

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    10 years ago

I can't really fathom a 'pressure canner' that only reaches '3 (three) psi' justifying it's storage space given its limited use.....And I have a whole lot of kitchen storage ;)

But I'm not entertained by single function kitchen gadgets anyway, I rarely buy something with one function only. Maybe that goes back to many years with a much smaller kitchen, but I'm just not comfortable with lots of seldom used 'stuff' around, or clutter.

• calliope
    10 years ago

Me either........and I'm a stickler for longevity, and have gone back to my luddite ways after going through one expensive coffeemaker after the other who seem to have a one year life-span. I am using my mother's HWB, and I suspect it's the same one she used when I was sixteen, fifty years ago and it's got another fifty years on it. My pressure canner is twenty some years old and all I have ever put into it is a new gasket. I think I read this unit only takes three quart jars? I often have two units working in tandem when I am canning, filled to capacity. I guess whatever floats your boat.

• dgkritch
    10 years ago

Sounds like a gimmick to me to try to take the fear out of canning. But, who knows, could be the next "bread machine".

Deanna

• 2ajsmama
    10 years ago

I don't know - were bread machines ever that expensive? Plus you could put ingredients (except for dairy, eggs) in hours before, set it, and leave it all day. Looks like you can't leave this appliance - have to take jars out when processing time is up. Might be convenient for BWBing things like whole tomatoes that take a while, but not worth it for jams/jellies, salsa. I actually don't have a problem walking out of the room when BWBing - my glass top cycles but I've never had it stop boiling.

They probably only are doing certain recipes that they've tested, that's why it's restricted. Now if they came up with an electric pressure canner that did at least 10 psi (15 would be nice) and recipes for that, or even better get all the NCFP/Ball Complete PC recipes tested and programmed in for the 1-touch operation, THAT would be worth it!

Funny, I get their new product surveys but didn't see this one coming.

• calliope
    10 years ago

I think the company is trying to fill the void left when the USDA recommended not using steam canners because of their inconsistency in maintaining temperatures. That little burst of pressure is just enough to raise temps to compensate for cold spots is my guess. If this is the case, and it's just conjecture on my part, and it did really bring all temps up consistently and throughout the process that one would be able to use the processing times for BWB canning. If I were designing a unit like this, that would be my goal. I would think that testing to assure the temps were as good as or better than BWB would be sufficient to recommend safety of using existing tested directions for BWB high acid food. That slightly higher temperature shouldn't make any major or even noticeable difference in processing time or quality in the end product. I'd think limiting the use of this device for ONLY their recipes would be the ultimate turn-off for considering the product and could see it severely limiting their market for anyone but the rank novice. Most people who first take up canning for sauces and jellies do so because they find a unique one and wish to preserve it. Having a very small database for a product would be poor marketing and limit it to a novelty.

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

I'm sure people will figure out how to use other recipes, if they buy the machine. It's just another way to get money.

• seysonn
    10 years ago

They got you by the "Ball" (excuse my French. )

They already have a monopoly in canning market.

This post was edited by seysonn on Sun, Nov 17, 13 at 0:32

• calliope
    10 years ago

LOL

• readinglady
    10 years ago

When I see something like this I wonder about who manufactured it and parts availability. That touchpad will wear through over time and then where do you go?

I remember in the 1950's old pressure cooker cookbooks had a lot of recipes for low-pressure (i.e. 5psi) like cheesecakes and steamed puddings. That seems a lot simpler and more reliable than this hideously expensive electric gadget.

At least with bread machines you have lots of parts available for the well-known brands (ebay is full of them) and often you can pick one up at a thrift store or garage sale for next-to-nothing.

Carol

• mellyofthesouth
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My stainless steel stock pot I use for bwb won't ever have electronic problems. For that same reason I bought an italian rice steamer pot that I use on the stove top instead an electric one. I love it.

• 2ajsmama
    10 years ago

I admit that I bought an electric rice cooker (salvage from Target, at Goodwill) b/c I make a lot of rice at once and it seems to cook better than pot on the stove. Though I have to unplug it when it's done, since rice tends to brown on the bottom if it sits on Warm for too long.

I also have a programmable slow cooker.