Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wertach2

Any Colombian Cooks here? I need recipes!

My wife is originally from Colombia, SA. She has been a citizen for 20 years.

But she gets a hankering for real Colombian food every once in a while.

She isn't a very good cook and the translation of her Mom's recipes don't turn out right.

Can anyone help? I'm a good cook but I can't read Spanish!

Comments (11)

• jimster
    11 years ago

Search on YouTube for Columbian dishes. You will get step-by-step demos, not just recipes. Even the videos with audio in Spanish are mostly easy to follow.

Jim

• missrumphius
    11 years ago

This is a topic that might get a better response on another forum site - I recommend egullet.org (My other addiction besides Gardenweb) the home of foodies and professional cooks from all countries. You have to join to post but there is no fee. But beware - it is just as addictive as this site.
    Elaina

• missrumphius
    11 years ago

This is a topic that might get a better response on another forum site - I recommend egullet.org (My other addiction besides Gardenweb) the home of foodies and professional cooks from all countries. You have to join to post but there is no fee. But beware - it is just as addictive as this site.
    Elaina

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

Or over on the various Cooking forums here at GW as well as the Recipe Exchange forum.

Dave

• wertach zone 7-B SC
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks I will try egullet.org.

We have a Colombian store about 15 miles from here and my wife stops in often. She went Sunday about an hour after I posted the first question actually, she mentioned missing her food earlier.

They have very good chorizo with sides, small red potatoes, fried plantains, fried eggs, and other stuff, that they cook and serve.

I have been there many times and I have bought their chorizo, uncooked, that they serve and asked how they prepare it and the sides. They were happy to help, but their English isn't very good and my Spanish sucks. She can't cook so her translations weren't any help.

I cooked it all according to my best understanding of their directions. It tasted the same to me. She doesn't think so.

When we visit her parents and family in Colombia, I watch closely so that I am sure of what they are doing when they are cooking. I taste the spices to be sure I know what they are so that nothing is lost in translation.

I am beginning to think it is all in her head! LOL

• teauteau
    11 years ago

Here's a Columbian-American lady with her own blog on cooking and some of her grandmother's recipes. I'm going to hang onto this too. Buena suerte amigo!

http://www.mycolombianrecipes.com/

• wertach zone 7-B SC
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, looks good!

• wertach zone 7-B SC
    Original Author
    11 years ago

teauteau, I made the Sopa de Estrellitas con Alb�ndigas (Pasta and Meatballs Soup)Yesterday.

It was so good! My wife said that it was just like her mom makes maybe even better!

I loved it too!

Thanks again!

• teauteau
    11 years ago

That's great Wetach! I'm going to try some of those recipes too. I have had arepas (Venezuela?) and empanadas, but, most of my experience with Latino food is Mexican and then Puerto Rican, Cuban and Peruvian. We like to try new things. I hung onto the blog because we plan on making up a lot of the stuff. It really appealed to us. Take care!
    T

• bb
    11 years ago

not a Colombian cook, but the subject peaked my interest, there looks like some good ideas on that web site up there that will help me get away from the mundane meals that I seem to always be eating. will be trying something new this weekend. Thanks.

• wertach zone 7-B SC
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I have tried several of the recipes Rist. It does taste like Colombian food which is sometimes bland in my homely opinion. She loves it that way so I add spices to mine separately.

One thing that I wish I could duplicate is their Arepa huevo (SP?)a deep fried pastry with egg and ham, bacon, or other meat. I ate them at roadside stands while we were visiting and they are delicious, but probably very bad health wise. They fry them in pig fat!

Sponsored
ANF Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Kitchen & Bath Designers Servicing VA