Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Seal on my broth

Posted by gardensewer 6b (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 10, 10 at 16:16

Just got done canning the first of 2 canner loads of beef broth. Did all the standard things 1 inch headspace etc. After removing the lid of the canner,
with the correct resting period after removing the weight, the jars immediately started sealing. After hearing 14 such pops I went to look since there were only 12 jars in the canner. Several of the jars had the lids popping up then down then up again. Back and forth. They all did finally settle down in the sealed position. I am using the bulk lids from lehman's but the last batch of canning didn't misbehave in this way! Any ideas on what was going on?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Seal on my broth

It happens and as long as they were properly processed and sealed well they are fine.

I find when most jars are first removed from the pressure canner you see them still actively bubbling. That air has to get out. So the pop and resealing is working as it should. The first seal was weak enough to allow the jar to 'burp' yet again. ;)

Why it happens with some and not with all might be due to a bit of difference in how tight the band is screwed on, a smidge difference in the headspace, a bit of broth that got under the lid, perhaps the broth in that particular jar may be a bit thicker or got a bit hotter, takes a bit longer to cool, is sitting in a draft, etc.

Can't say for sure but they are ok either way.

Dave

o
RE: Seal on my broth

This just happened to me the other day. I've canned for years but I've never seen anything like this. I was startled to open the pressure canner to find the lids bouncing up and down making quite a racket. I wondered if I'd done something wrong so I'm glad I didn't.

I have a related question. I did my best to skim the fat off the top of the broth but after the jars cooled there is a 1/16 to 1/8 inch of fat of top. Is this acceptable?

BTW this is my first post. I've been reading for years and finally decided to stop lurking. I really appreciate all the wonderful advice and knowledge on here.

Dale

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here